17. When they saw it

Emily was sitting in her room. After hearing from Deaton, she told them she had to figure things out.

The girl didn't know what to think about it, but she didn't have much time because she promised Derek she'd help him build a pack.

She's meeting Derek at an abandoned subway station. It was in a quiet neighborhood, so they did not worry about possible people who would hear the roar of wolves.

Emily put on comfortable clothes and decided to practice before they met and take a short run towards the subway.

That way she could improve her physical condition and not bother Derek to pick her up.

She was walking down the stairs into the middle of the station when she felt someone's gaze on her. She figured it was Derek who had already started training together.

Emily sharpened her hearing and sense of smell and started walking in the direction where she heard the heartbeat.

Suddenly, almost halfway there, she stopped and turned around, just as Derek ran towards her with his claws extended.

The girl dodged. She tripped Derek, causing him to fall to the floor.

She sat on his back holding his arms and immobilizing him. She leaned over his ear.

'You're smart. ' she smiled and stood up.

Derek got up from the floor and looked at the wolf.

'Just like you. How did you know I was behind you?'

'The heartbeat I heard the first time didn't seem natural to me. '

'But you went that way anyway. '

'To lure you out of hiding. '

'Nice. '

Emily looked around the station.

'So this is where you made a rendezvous for your pack? '

Derek nodded. He went a bit to the right, where there were two wooden pallets and blankets. He sat down and called for Emily to sit next to him.
As the girl sat down, Derek looked at her.

'We can't change random people the way Peter did. '

'I know. '

'So, how we'll do it? ' he asked.

'How many people you want to change? '

'Maybe 2 or 3? ' he suggested.

Emily nodded.

'3 sounds good. '

'You have someone in mind? '

Emily started to wonder. She hasn't been to school since prom because since she passed her exams, she's practically passed school. All she had to do was fill out some paperwork and then look for a full-time job. Speaking of prom...

'I think I've got someone. He's a boy, about two or three years younger than me. 'Emily said.

'Do you think he'll agree to be a werewolf? '

The girl nodded.

'Probably yes. He doesn't have an interesting situation at home, his father abuses him. '

Derek thought about it.

'Do you know where he lives? ' Derek asked looking at the girl.

Emily took the phone out of her pocket and dialed the number. After a few signals, the boy answered.

'Hey, Ems. What's up? '

'Hey, Isaac. I have a proposition for you. Can we meet? '

***