January (6-12)

6 January 1999

I had a long face till afternoon and I didn't exchange any words with my mother. I am aware she is doing everything for me, somewhere in her heart she is terrified that someone might do black magic on me because I'm the talk of town ever since the news of my marriage leaked. Despite her fear, it is not right to hurt someone's emotions.

Finally, in the evening she came to my room and apologized for yesterday's behavior. I decided to move on, after all, she is my mother, she gave birth to me.

You know my mother always restricts my father to scold me and my brother. She always says that children easily forget anything that their mother says to them but father's harsh words work like a dragger and ultimately, the rift between the child and father expands, leaving no space for reunion. Sometimes, I wonder if that is the reason that fathers in Indian society maintain a distance from family.

My brother came back home after seven months. He is doing his Masters in Economics from Delhi University. The first thing he asked me was, "Who is the unlucky guy?" Before I could answer, my mother started bragging, "Can you believe he is the MLA's son." Gosh, someone please tell me his name.

Yours Vijaya

9 January 1999

Time is flying. I have been so busy for the past couple of days that I didn't get any minute to update you on what is going on in my life. It is my engagement and I am in charge of the store room, where all the gifts for my in-laws and jewelry for my engagement day are kept. I counted more than 100 sarees with odhni (a traditional long scarf), it is indeed too much for engagement. Normally people did this much expenditure on weddings. It is a white elephant.

I wish at least one person in this house could just listen to me, they are pouring money into the drain. Eight different types of sweets were prepared yesterday, four vegetables and three kinds of bread (Chapati, Puri, and Naan).

Tomorrow at 11:30 I'll finally be engaged. I'll catch up with you then, till then bye.

Yours Vijaya

10 January 1999

The entire house was decorated and the sweet aroma was pleasing every nostril. The street was covered with cars and at eleven the scent of luxury clouded the entire sector. The MLA with his family entered our premises. Bodyguards had surrounded the place like bees.

Everyone welcomed them with joined hands. I was called and for the first time, I saw the man whom I was destined to spend the rest of my life with. He was six feet tall with a typical Indian complexion. He owns the darkest pair of black eyes I had ever seen.

The family exchanged gifts and later the priest told us to exchange rings. I was chilled to my bones when he grabbed my hand to put the ring. His hands were warm which was melting my cold heart. He passed an assured smile to me, ensuring that I am in good hands. His smile was amicable. When he held my hand I felt a current wave had passed through my body. Is it normal? I don't know. When I was near him my heartbeat increased. Maybe because I have never been in proximity to any guy.

I was dumbstruck and forgot to respond. My cousin passed me the ring. I put the ring on his finger without touching him. He chuckled, noticing my weird acts. Later, we took blessings from their parents.

"Where is your grandmother?" he asked.

I didn't reply but kept looking in my grandmother's direction. He came down from the stage and moved to her side. He touched her feet and everyone there got shocked. "Give us your blessings grandmother," he said when she didn't say a word.

"Son you should stay away from me on this auspicious day," she was scarcely perceptible.

"Dadi maa(Grandmother) I'm not moving an inch without your blessings," he sternly said.