April (22-30)

22 April 1999

When we were having dinner yesterday, I told mummy about everything that the people of the slum told me. She shrugged it off and said that I should not worry about them and nothing in their life will change after they go to school. I don’t see eye to eye with her, but again I already know that talking with her about this is like casting pearls before swine. 

I decided to talk to my father-in-law, but he didn’t come back home, so finally I told Shrawan about it. He gave me his words that he will talk about this with his father and look in depth in this matter. 

He is such a relief, I know if he says then he will surely figure out something about this. This problem is severe then it seems, when I was in school there were no students in my class who belonged to Schedule Caste. Although there were some seniors, they were badly bullied by their classmates. They were not allowed to drink water from the school water hut. I remember it clearly because there was a girl whose father was an IPS and she studied in DAV and because her father was transferred, she raised her voice against this which led to involvement of police in this matter. 

What was her name? Ishani… Yes, she was super confident, if I were 10% of her then things would be different. Everyone in school was aware that she wanted to become an IPS officer just like her father. There are some people whom we met and they always leave a beautiful impression of them in our life. She must have completed her Masters by now. I want to meet her once again in my life. If she knew that bullying in the name of casteism still exists in Devawas then she would have shaken the entire system. 

What if she became MLA of someplace, I assume that place would become peaceful. I hope she becomes one, this is one of the things that this society needs most.

Yours Vijaya

23 April 1999

Another day passed without doing anything. I asked Shrawan if he went to the slum and he said that he will surely visit the place soon but right now he has some prior appointments, so he has to let it slide.

I don’t get what is more important than the life of those children, if they don’t get education then they would have no other option but to live a lowly life. I pitied them, but I can do nothing for them. You know what when I close my eyes I can see the face of those people who badly want to escape poverty. I don't understand why there are so many schemes of poverty eradication, but why they are not doing anything.

25 April 1999

I didn’t get my menstruation this month, usually I get this on every 28th day. What if I am pregnant, but I don’t see any changes in my body. Should I talk with anyone about this? 

I will ask Shrawan if I can go to my parents house. Should I make some excuses or should I tell him directly? I am shy… Neither I nor Shrawan is ready for the child. What if I am pregnant and he wants me to abort it. 

I am not thinking about anything now, first I need to visit a doctor and then I will decide what step I should take next.

Yours Vijaya

26 April 1999

I called my mother instead of telling directly to Shrawan, she called Shrawan and later my cousin came to take  me home. I visited a doctor and I am not pregnant. It is because of hormonal imbalance, my mother was so scared so she asked the doctor if I can become a mother or not. 

That was embarrassing, I knew that it was not a big issue but I have no words to explain anything to her. When the doctor told me that it is normal, as I just got married, it would be fine in a few months. My mother was pissed when I took the medicine. 

She took me to another doctor just to make sure that the previous doctor was not lying and I am not pregnant. She said that she can not risk the grandchildren of MLA. The other doctor said the same thing that I am facing some hormonal imbalance and he almost wrote the same prescription.

When I came back home, some of my neighbors came to visit my mother. They appeared so pleased to see me with her. When they asked where we were, my mother lied that we went to the market but I didn’t like anything. 

One of the ladies said that now I am MLA’s daughter-in-law, it is evident that I will not like anything local. Then the other one said that she envied me as I don’t have to put on a veil as she was tired of keeping the veil even working in the kitchen. Her mother-in-law always scolds her if her veil is short. Luckily, I don’t have to worry about it, I just need to cover my head. 

Ultimately, I fed up hearing them complaining about their in-laws. I don’t understand how every mother-in-law is a witch in the eyes of their daughter-in-law, even on TV serials they are portrayed in negative roles. Touchwood, it is not a case in my life.

Yours Vijaya

27 April 1999

Shrawan brought me home, he had some argument with someone, his face was telling me this. However, I didn’t ask anything as I already know that he is not going to tell me anything. 

I didn’t tell him anything about my visit to the doctor as I didn't want him to take tension about anything, especially about me. He is going to Jaipur tomorrow, there is a rally to support the next Chief Minister Mr. Ramswaroop Hudda. He was selected by the party as he had been winning the election for the past two times. Prior to him, his father had won the election every single time. He is from Udaipur, so I don’t know much about him, and no one in the family discussed anything about him. He is a few years older than Shrawan, that's why everyone is super excited about the young politician. I assume that some are not happy with this decision. 

It is normal that those who have worked for over three decades for a party expected to get awarded, but what can be done? The competition is cut throat, so only who can ensure the victory will be selected as the face of the Chief Minister. I don’t think there's a place of jealousy here. Still people are people.

Yours Vijaya

28 April 1999

I finally got my period. It is so painful this time that I am not feeling like staying up and doing anything. As if I am doing anything to begin with. 

Yours Vijaya

29 April 1999

This is the most painful day of my life, I am wondering if I might die of pain while giving birth. Have periods always been this painful or this is happening for the first time?

Maids served me food in my room as I had a fever and my mother-in-law refused to let me go to the kitchen. I know the reason behind it, so I didn’t throw any tantrums. It is the same everywhere, be it my home or at my in-laws. 

I think it is good because I don’t want to move. I am enjoying the care plus the snake game. 

Yours Vijaya

30 April 1999

Shrawan came back and went to Ganganagar. There is some issue with the property that they have over there. I think that a national highway is declared there and most of the land will be occupied by the government soon. No one in the house worried about it, so I guess it is not a big deal. 

I got some ache and as mummy saw them, she invited a beautician at home. I think it is the 10th time she visited our house. She did my facial, eyebrows, waxing and gave me some creams. 

I hate applying cream, it makes my skin extremely oily, but I have no other option but to obey them i.e., beautician and mummy. 

I am still feeling numbness on my hands and legs. In addition to it, the rashes are making the matter worse. I have to use aloe vera and rose water to soothe it. Although I don’t like wax, the results are amazing. Not only does my body feel so smooth but whenever I run cold water on it, it feels ticklish, it is fun.

Maybe tomorrow mummy will go shopping and maybe I could join her, but I am not sure. So, I am now going to get my beauty sleep so that I can feel refreshed tomorrow. Good night 

Yours Vijaya