May (21-28)

21 May 1999 

This man always surprises me, I can’t believe my ears. I am feeling pangs of sadness, Shrawan was not there because of my request, he was there because he knew that Gyatri Devi would visit the slum. Someone who is near to her is stabbing her in the back by working as a spy for him. 

I do feel bad for her, but he says that everything is fair in politics. Ethically, it is wrong but in order to win one has to follow all four policies i.e., Saam Daam Dand Bhed. Well, I don’t think it is completely wrong, maybe she is doing the same. 

Why am I like this? Just a few minutes ago I was criticizing Shrawan’s behavior and now I am fine with this. I am being dual and this is not fair, I just sound like my mother-in-law. It could be because I am staying with her, now I totally sound like her, blaming someone else for my mistake.

Nevertheless, Shrawan was at the slum in the morning, this time I was not with him as he would have to meet men only. At first no one raised any issue, but after many attempts Shrawan told me that they are heavily underpaid, both in fields and in brick factories. There are two here and one of them is under mummy’s name, so he announced that he is raising the wages of those who are working for him. 

Wave of happiness spread among those who used to work for us, but the rest were sad because they still had to cope up with inflation. I know for sure, the laborers will protest very soon. He also said that he will talk with Gajender Singh to make sure that they will get minimum wages. This will work in our favor during the election.

Yours Vijaya

23 May 1999

Shrawan’s birthday is on the 29th of this month. I have less than a week to arrange something for him. I would have never known if mummy didn’t spill the tea. Why did I get to know everything about the family from her? You are a dummy. The answer is simple because she knows about them more than me. 

When we were having dinner she asked Shrawan what he wanted for his birthday to which he replied maybe some cash. What a materialistic guy he is? Come on Vijaya he is your husband, though you are telling the truth. 

What should I give him, he has everything. Plus, he doesn't like to buy clothes from Devawas, I heard him nitpicking how everything is out of fashion here. In addition to it, there are no brand outlets. Can’t I go to Jaipur to buy something for him?

No it is not going to happen. Think about something creative… a handmade card, don’t sound too bad, but it is way too simple. I need to think about something which could match his standards. 

I think I know what I should do… First I am going to make his favorite sweet dish, though I don’t know which one is that. Mummy can help me in this matter, she knows everything about him. Wait, I think she once even told me about that, but you know I am an airhead so I forgot. Doesn’t matter, I will ask again.

Second, I will buy a shirt from him, there could be one shirt in Devawas that could be up to his standard. I will check each and every shop. 

Third, I will make a greeting card as well as a painting of him, then I will frame him and gift him. I hope he likes it. 

Now, I am out to ask about his favorite sweet. I even have to practice how to make it as I don’t know much about making sweets. 

Yours Vijaya

24 May 1999

So, there is a slight modification in plan. His favorite sweet dish is gajar ka halwa. It is not possible to find carrots in this season, so I will make something simpler, maybe kheer. I believe it will work. 

I am going shopping tomorrow and there I will buy some colors, papers and other miscellaneous items that I think could be important. I have some money that I have saved ever since I came here. I have not spent even a single paisa ever since I came to this house, as everything was readily available. 

I have money that I got on my Kanyadaan, I never wanted to get that but my parents said that it belongs to the bride and if they keep it, they will be punished by Gods. Then the money that I got after I completed my first cooking ceremony and from the guests who visited me. And whenever I visit my parents they give me money. So yes I am richie-rich. 

Wait a second, I can buy him a ring. He complained that our engagement ring was too big, so I think it is the best idea to buy one for him. I will take his size and go to one of the jewelers. 

Needless to say I believe he would be surprised. I am planning to give him a similar ring that he gave me, something like a couple rings. This idea is so cute, I cross my fingers and hope that he will like it. 

For the sake of this surprise I will ask my mother to send someone to take me to the market. I hope I don’t bother them with anything important that they have been planning. 

Yours Vijaya

26 May 1999

I visited all the jewelers in Devawas and none of them have made this ring. I clearly remember him saying that Arshi had arranged this ring for me. But the question is from where? Some even claimed that this was not made by anyone who lived in the vicinity. Most probably it is from Johri Bazaar. 

I asked one of them if Arshi's father is a jeweler, to which he confidently said no. See Arshi became famous after that drama of climbing to a water tank. Probably, that's why everyone knows her. Sadly, I can’t crawl to her and ask from where did she get this ring. 

If it is from Johri Bazar then there is no chance that she bought it. She is a girl and no parent in Devawas will send their daughter to Jaipur to buy a gift for someone’s wife. Was he lying to me about the ring the whole time? But why would he? He doesn't have any reason. Or maybe he does.

Not again Vijaya, you remember you promised last time that you will not have any more sneaky suspicion. It is high time you fulfill it. In addition, I don’t think it is the right time to ask him about this ring, otherwise he might get the clue of what I am planning to do. 

I had ordered a ring that didn't look kind of similar to this ring, which he gifted me a second time. It is beautiful, elegant and stylish at the same time. I am having trouble finding a similar kind of ring and there he was, he bought exactly two similar rings. After his birthday I will ask him where he purchased it, or maybe I can ask this question without getting suspicious. I need to make some plans. 

I have to make his portrait as well, as I have no time and haven’t even started it yet. Optimistically, it will finish in no time and I could keep it as a secret for three more days. 

Yours Vijaya

27 May 1999 

I am extremely busy, maybe more than the Prime Minister of the country. Just kidding, I am hiding the portrait from everyone and this is not as easy as I thought. Every time I work on it, someone knocks on the door. There are two times already when Shrawan got a little bit angry when the room was locked from inside. 

It is half way done and the card, I had changed plans regarding it as well. First, he doesn't need it and second, I don’t have much time. I am trying my best to not mess with it. There is a possibility of ruining it, as it's almost half a year, I didn’t paint or sketch. 

Father-in-law came back and now everything is normal between everyone. Touch wood, it should remain intact. I am sorry I have to cut down your time because I need to do this in private and the same goes for you. My two little secrets.

Yours Vijaya

28 May 1999   

Everyone was out today, that gave me full time to work on it. I am glad that it is complete. Now I’ll set a timer of 12 at night and will surprise him. It is 8 and no one is home yet, so I decided not to call him as my in-laws are with him. I’ll have food when they come back. Right now I just want to sleep.

Yours Vijaya