June (8-11)

8 June 1999

I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I am glad that the young girl was getting justice, she has gone through a lot.

But why do women have to go through such things in their life? How will she going to live her life? Will justice really serve any purpose? Would she be living a normal life after all this?

I am 100% aware that I am wrong still I think that she has to face humiliation from society. This society will not let her live in peace. Everyone be it her neighbors or relatives, everyone will going to scratch her wound, the moment she tries to live her life. The guy who will marry her will be considered a pure soul because he will marry a girl like her.

Maybe things would be different if her family stayed calm and didn't leak the news of her disappearance. I have no sympathy for that man he does deserve the most cruel punishment in this world. I am worried about that little girl... Because of one incident, in which she had no stake... In which she was a victim, she will remain the victim even when she grows old, she will become a subject to public scrutiny. Maybe someone will point her way of dressing was unethical or maybe someone just call her salao.

People around her will go to point and say that she was raped when she was little. Maybe they will add spices of rumors while discussing her. Are we humans?

I think it is for the best if she along with her family moves to a better place after getting justice, though she is not wrong, still in my eyes, to protect their child from harassment her family should consider this.

I hope that no woman ever faces sexual harassment from anyone.

Yours Vijaya

9 June 1999

I met Gaytri Devi today, she was right in front of my eyes and she smiled at me as if never anything had happened between her and my family.

Maybe she just confused me with someone else otherwise I don't think that she has any reason to be friendly with me. I am positive this could be the case, I was alone and that's the reason she didn't think that I was the daughter-in-law of Rukmini Devi.

As always whenever we cross paths with her, mummy felt extremely sad, she badmouthed her a lot. The next thing I knew, I felt stuck hearing her complaints and tried to maintain a calm and compost posture.

The guest room is getting renovated, Mummy said that it was high time to repaint and change some stuff as no one is using it these days. Maybe by the end of tomorrow, things will get settled and I see that neither Shrawan nor MLA ji is planning to come home soon.

What more?.. What more?

Yes, I want to meet my family, as I have nothing else to do, so I believe it is best that I spend some time with them, till Shrawan comes back.

Yours Vijaya

10 June 1999

The moli that the man tied on my hand before Holi is still on my wrist. I have looking at it and wondering if it could protect me from death.

No way it is just a way to clout the crowd. It is the 21st century, (okay will start in a few months now) yet people believe that these things will make any difference.

I admit that I am one of those people. I decided to remove it but in the end, I gave up on giving up. It sounds complicated because humans are complicated.

Long story short, it is still tied to my hand maybe because I am scared of the idea of losing it. 99 percent it was a stunt, but that 1 percent is strong and I don't want to risk my life.

What is this? A life insurance? And what am I? A hypocrite.

I know these kinds of things are pulling me backward but if... Only if it is true. I don't want to risk my life, I got freedom after so long so now I am going to enjoy it, I am going to meet new people and for sure will read a lot.

Yours Vijaya

11 June 1999

Shrawan came back home, I thought that he would come back after a few days. But as the case is now running in fast-track court and CBI took over it, the administration has given its word that from now on immediate action will be taken in cases related to women.

These were the demands of the people who were protesting and now when these were fulfilled the crowd dispersed. Shrawan was pissed because his hidden motive was that area's MLA gave his resignation, he didn't even mention that it was his fault, regisnation was out of the question.

Sometimes I feel that Shrawan is different. I mean, the way he approaches the world is utterly different from the way he treats his family. Maybe I am wrong, everyone is like that. One always has to put a mask on. Perhaps common people are exempted from this but the people who are surrounded by the cameras, always have to behave in a certain way. Doing certain chores, and enjoying their time with their loved one is a luxury for them.

I am glad that I am not famous, but the way things are turning I think it is just a matter of time. So in the meantime, I should live my life fullest by showing my loved ones with care.

Even thinking and writing about it brings a smile to my face. I love it when after having a meal that I prepare, (of course it is a rare phenomenon) Shrawan praises me and feels content. Receiving compliments from my husband is the best thing for me and possibly for all married women.

Yours Vijaya