June (25-27)

25 June 1999

Yesterday evening when everyone came home I told them what had happened in the slum. Mummy was fine, she looked satisfied that I went against Gayatri Devi; however, an unpleasant expression was visible on my father-in-law's face. I understood the seriousness of the situation and at that moment I didn't utter a word.

Unfortunately, Mummy kept praising me which led to an argument at the dining table. Father-in-law leashed out on Shrawan stating that he had already made it clear that he didn't want his daughter-in-law to meet other people. Why in the world, Shrawan is letting me go to these places? Those people were of lower caste and what he would do if something bad had happened.

Shrawan didn't say a word, just silently had his dinner, whereas mummy infuriatingly said that no one would even point a finger at me, as I am the daughter-in-law of this household. She clearly said that the problem is not those people but it is him and his orthodox thinking that women belonged to the house.

I looked at Shrawan who was gulping his food as soon as possible, possibly he was embarrassed that they were doing this again. He looked at me and I got that he wanted me to finish food shortly and go to our soon.

I was extremely hungry but merely had one chapati because I didn't want him to feel bad. Thankfully, it didn't turn nasty and soon they went silent.

Why I am the reason behind their disagreement every time? Believe me, it is a kind of mental pressure. I do feel bad, morally because I am obliged to work according to my in-laws, yet every time I make situations unpleasant. I am in an inner conflict, and even after so long, I don't get how I should react in places like these.

As always I didn't speak a word on this topic with him because I didn't want him to feel uneasy. I do need a compliment to be a good wife.

Yours Vijaya

26 June 1999

One of the secretaries came up with the idea of using the household tank for this project and replacing it with the Plastic tank on the rooftop.

Let me explain it in detail, almost all houses have an underground water tank, they are mostly used by the family for the storage of water. See water level is way too down here as it is already exploited by our ancestors so the only option we have now is to rely on the government supply of water. At around 5-7 a.m., people turn on the motors to get water and the water is supplied to the houses in the evening for one hour. So, to get water after these hours people save it for later.

Anyway, the reason behind this is monsoon season is about to start and the only possible option they can see is this, as it is not possible to continue construction during the rainy season.

Plus, it will provide them the opportunity to look after the consequences, and if needed they can make amendments before the next monsoon. If that happens, and the situation is not under his control. I mean if my father-in-law loses the election, then some random winner will claim his hard work. This is unacceptable, he has to make sure that we win.

The expected date of the monsoon is mid of next month, though it is not sure as 90% of the time the prediction is wrong. How anyone can predict the rain, that too the exact location and time? I think that the government is wasting precious resources on supercomputers and weather forecasting departments.

Maybe in the future, I am not sure but as they said the future is not what you think, the prediction becomes right. I will then come and read what I had written on this day and laugh at myself stating that I was wrong. I want to be wrong because this technology could be life-saving.

Yours Vijaya

27 June 1999

Father-in-law today went on tour along with Shrawan. Shrawan was so mad when he came back, later he was called to study by him. When he came back, he appeared normal.

He spilled the tea, he was badly scolded by his father when they visited a colony of Muslims. Let me give you a brief about them, they are immigrants from Punjab. When during partition, Hindus were killing Muslims and vice versa, they came to Devawas and villagers saved them. Ever since then they have lived here and few of them bought land, which is not too much, they are barely surviving. Some work in grocery stores, only those who are vegetarian. If I am not wrong three just got government jobs, so they have more autonomy and financial stability.

Last year they requested that they need land to bury their people. As they were in the minority, no one was paying attention. But, father-in-law promised that he would look into it, God knows if he really meant it or if it was a false election promise.

They met Shrawan a few months ago and he relied on the message to his father that they were looking after them. According to Shrawan, he seemed unaware and now when he scolded him in front of them, he became upset.

Not just him, anybody could be angry. Getting scolded by your parents in front of others is not something that any child could appreciate, though his situation is different. He is MLA's son so he has to look after everything even if he is not at fault.

This service is rewarding, one should never forget the respect and influence that come with it. Like everything else, it requires sacrifice as well.

Sometimes I wonder what I could have done if I were at his place. I believe my reaction would be the same as his, after all this is what anyone had done.

Yours Vijaya