January (13-21)

13 January 1999

Another day passed while receiving words of wisdom from my mother. Frankly speaking, I am fed up hearing the same thing every day. I'm not a kid, is it that difficult to understand?

One thing that has changed after my engagement thanks to Shrawan is that I'm not forbidden to give company to my grandmother. Initially, my mother objected to it but when my father said that this might adversely affect our relationship with MLA she stopped nagging me. It takes a MLA son to break the heartless practices.

My parents bought gold worth rupees two lakhs because my in-laws will not accept any gifts. What am I going to do with all these jewels? I never liked this part of Indian weddings. I have seen people who started investing money in the dowry when a girl child is born instead of spending it on their daughter's education. I'm hurt to say this but we all are surrounded by these kinds of people.

I want to do something for society, at least I could have this opportunity when I marry him. From the marriage, I remember, today I saw Shrawan on Television. He was supporting the student protest at Rajasthan University. My grandmother who has never taken interest in any of these social and political matters kept praising him without even knowing the reason for the protest. I'm aware that she is blinded by his bold personality. It's unfair when I tried to get bold, I had to face the blast and he is receiving compliments.

I am getting jealous of my prospective husband. I know it's wrong but I also want some compliments. Everyone criticizes this juvenile behavior of mine, even my parents. A silly thought just popped into my mind: what if after marriage I start competing with my husband to get attention from everyone?

Drop this idea Vijaya your mother will beat the shit out of you for this unsophisticated behavior.

Yours Vijaya

14 January 1999

Every year, this day is celebrated as Makar Sankranti. People fly kites during the day and during night the sky is full of wishing balloons and crackers. In Rajasthan, the best place to celebrate this festival is Jaipur. I had never seen it but heard from my relatives that one cannot take their eyes off the colorful sky of that day.

Some folklore suggests that on this day a Goddess executed an evil entity called Sankarasur whereas others tell a whole together different story. This day is considered pious as the Sun shifted from the South to North Hemisphere, giving relief to agriculture. No one knows about the origin of this day. Some scholars claim that this festival was celebrated even before the Mahabharata period because this ancient text as well as Rigveda (1500-1000 BCE) also mentions this holy festival.

You might be wondering why out of the blue I'm describing this festival (Drum Roll) as I'm getting married so from now on each year my parents will send me gifts, nothing fancy though; that's a plus point. It will allow me to meet my parents and feel special.

I might sound silly but I want to celebrate the festival in Jaipur, maybe next year with Shrawan. Most of the time he stays in Jaipur my mother-in-law told me that so there is a possibility.

In the evening, there was a bonfire in my neighborhood. I used to attend it every year but I didn't go there today. It is generally believed that the evil power as summoned by various people and infants and prospective wives should avoid coming out of the house. So, yes I'm following the norm. I went to the rooftop and enjoyed the celebration from afar. A few more days and then I'll celebrate all festivals at a different location. I'm at home and still missing my parents. What will I do when I get married?

Yours Vijaya

17 January 1999

I didn't get time to write for the past few days as guests started arriving to take part in my marriage. My cousins are preparing a dance for me. Every day they all locked themself in the room and practiced for hours. I'm trying hard to peek but they are smart and always keep a guard out of their room.