June (12-13)

12 June 1999

The problems that I thought were genetics are due to excess fluoride in the human body. One reporter from Tej Prakash has been investigating the quality of water that has been supplied to different villages in Rajasthan and at this stage he realised that like Nagaur the content of fluorosis is way beyond than safe limit.

I have caught sight of how many people who are in their late 50s got bedridden. When I visited the slum, I noticed that almost everyone had discolored teeth. I am so mad at myself for thinking that this was because the people didn't care about their hygiene, this was because of unsafe drinking water that was contaminated by fluorosis.

The reporter showed his survey data to Shrawan as he was one of the closest allies. He also mentioned that Devawas was the third village in his report and he had to survey many villages of Jhunjhunu, Sikar, Nagaur, and some of the western districts. So he can expect that he has nearly 5-6 months to find a solution for this problem.

Unfortunately, this situation is irreversible, it means the effect on the body cannot be altered but it could be stopped from getting worse. After looking at the report we find out that the problem is extremely severe in the areas which were in the outskirts, on the other hand, in the locality which was near Johad (a small pond that was recharged with rain water) the problem there was almost negligible.

It is alarming how even teens are complaining about back and bone pains. People who have reached their mid-20s are complaining that they find it extremely uncomfortable to bend.

Somewhere I am relaxed that the reporter handed Shrawan the report in the first place. Shrawan was annoyed because he had been busy for the past few days and he hadn't gotten a sound sleep. But, he was thankful to his friend.

"This could be an opportunity in disguise," he said. "If I manage to beg differ from the neighboring areas, I will steal the limelight and victory will stand by our side in the upcoming elections."

Sometimes he sounds like a selfish man, who cares about nothing except winning. But, at least he is trying to improve the situation by actively participating in it. See no one is willing to lose the perks that one enjoys after winning the elections. So, it is normal for him to react in a certain way, everyone needs motivation and his motivation is winning.

I know he is my husband but I am aware that he is more into winning instead of doing things for public welfare. Conquest is primary to him and the rest things are secondary. I might be wrong but I think this is the case. In reality, everything will become meaningless for him if Gaytri Devi wins. Everyone in this family loathes her, from my mother-in-law to Shrawan and they are willing to use any tactics just to win from her.

I don't know if the case would be different if instead of Gaytri Devi, someone else was in opposition. But they say whatever happens is for a reason, and I assume it is true. Maybe the waking of Gayatri Devi was an incident that could have led to the decline of the fluorosis problem in Devawas.

Everything is connected and so tightly knotted that it is impossible to untangle the threads of incidences.

Yours Vijaya

13 June 1999

A few professionals from Delhi have been called by Shrawan, after spending the entire day in the field, they gave their verdict.

Before that, it is important to note that none of them revealed their true identity to the public, they said they were here to write a thesis. Shrawan didn't want to raise a suspicion in the mind of Gaytri Devi or other opposition leaders, otherwise, they would make a scene and try to snatch the opportunity from him. He is a politician so I think all these things run in his body like blood.

Never mind, the best possible solution is to store the rainwater and use it for drinking and cooking purposes. It is a costly affair though but it is good for the long term.

Shrawan said that finance is not the issue, he will look into that matter regardless. He just wanted to make sure that he won at any cost. He is not 100% sure that this step will ensure positive results in forthcoming elections.

I told him that instead of looking for outcomes he should focus on good deeds, eventually everything would work out.

His expressions were unreadable. I mean it was impossible to decipher what he wanted, how he was feeling after talking with me.

Sometimes I think that I know everything about him, but then these kinds of moments come and challenge me. At times I get this feeling that he is not what I think of him. I am aware I have said this many times, and every time he proved me wrong. So, it is better for me, if I want to save our relationship to trust him.

I don't know how I dare to say this, how can I forget the things he did for me, how can I forget the things he is doing for the people? After all these sacrifices, he at least deserves to win.

I still remember when mummy and father-in-law were having arguments and he took me to Jaipur, despite having the worst family issues, he completed his work without any complaints. He is a human after all, he does have desires and desires are fundamental for anyone. They not only aid in constant evolution but also help in pushing one's limit.

There is nothing wrong with the obsession of winning, I am the witness, and I see how hard he works, and how humble he is when he meets people. How obliged he felt because people had chosen his father. That's why, I should not think otherwise.

Yours Vijaya