April (3-7)

3 April 1999

I was at my parents house for the past week. It was unplanned, that's why I didn’t take you with me. My mother-in-law came into my room and asked me to come with her, it was an emergency. 

Arshi started a new drama, she was at the water tank and had threatened the guy, who had to marry her. My mother-in-law was maddened, who wouldn't? She is stupid, I got it that she was annoyed because her marriage broke down, and doing marriage  is a costly affair. She demanded money from the boy's family. 

Definitely, she does have all the rights to receive the money back which her family spends on the marriage. In place of making that scene and placing her life in risk, she should have taken police help. The groom's side was also at fault because without further ado, they should have compensated them, but no they claimed that they don’t have any money as their daughter-in-law didn’t bring any dowry. That was the most gross thing I had heard in my life. What are they? Beggars. 

Nevertheless, my mother-in-law affirmed that she will help her. After a round of negotiation, she finally came down. I don’t like those people who, in contemplation of their wishes, put their or other’s life at stake. There are people who are dying to live and then, there are people like her who care about nothing except the money. 

Somewhere that guy is saved, she would have made his life miserable. After meeting her all these times, I realized that she is toxic. When we were on our way home, my mother-in-law suggested that I should go to my parents house for a few days because I had been through alot. I was touched by her words. I can’t thank God enough for sending me to this family. She took me shopping and then we went to my parents house, without even coming back. 

I talked with Shrawan everyday. After that marriage, he went back to Jaipur and today, he came to my parents house to take me with him. When I came without informing my parents, my mother thought that I did something wrong. That's why my mother-in-law sent me here. When I told her the real reason, she in a blink, changed the conversation and said she always knew that they would take care of me, that's why she got me married there. 

It was a much needed break, most of the time I was with my grandmother. She told me that she was so scared when everyone was blaming MLA ji, for sometime she thought that my parents were wrong to send me to that family. She is such a sweetheart, I know she wouldn’t even sleep peacefully because of the tension. 

That stay was extremely peaceful, some of the villagers came to meet me, and they all were extremely cautious with their words. Perhaps, they were scared, maybe they might be reluctant after Gaytri Devi’s case. 

My mother-in-law is in Calcutta, as one of her closest friends is the Governor of Bengal. Their meeting was due for sometime, tomorrow she will come back home. Shrawan is in study, so I should get going now. Bye

Yours Vijaya

4 April 1999

My in-laws were arguing about something, I can feel the cold air that has surrounded this place. I wanted to know the reason behind it, so I asked Shrawan if everything was fine between his parents. He raised his voice for interfering too much. Before I could say anything, he slammed the door on my face and went outside. 

I was dumbfounded, tears started flowing from my eyes. Meanwhile, Shrawan forgot his phone in the room and he came back to take it back, but as his eyes landed on my tears, he hugged me. He kept apologizing, at that moment I realized that I was at fault this time, as I was being too nosy. I should keep my distance from such topics, everyone is sensitive when it comes to their parents. I might have responded in the same way. 

At times, I think that my mother is right that I need to control my tongue, otherwise everything will fall into disrepair. 

Yours Vijaya

5 April 1999

I am the reason why my in-laws were not talking with each other. My father-in-law criticizes my mother-in-law for talking me out in front of the media. He is a queer fish, he said that I should stay at home. My mother-in-law said that I have to go out, because after them, I would help Shrawan and I should know how to deal with the public. It is like training for me. 

She does have a valid point, but MLA ji has been behaving strangely ever since he came from Jaipur. He doesn’t speak about this matter with me, leave this matter, now when I am thinking I realized that he is the one person with whom I interacted least. We didn’t have any real conversation from the day I came here. It is not weird because fathers-in-law rarely talk with their daughters-in-law. Still, I was not expecting him to be like that.

I mean, this family is different, so somewhere I expected him to be like other 

members. I should not meddle in this topic, no matter how badly I want to accompany my mother-in-law. Let them decide whatever they suppose is best for me. Without complaining I will do whatever please them, sooner or later when the time comes, they will definitely allow me to stand by their side. 

Yours Vijaya

6 April 1999

I don’t grasp how my in-laws have been living with each other for the past 26 years. They fight like cats and dogs, both of them are short-tempered. Frankly, I was not expecting that childish behavior from any of them. I have lived with my parents for over 22 years and I never saw them arguing. Even if they were having a conflict, they should keep it inside their bedroom’s door. Any other person who is witnessing them will feel that these two people are behaving immaturely as per their age.

They are arguing because of me, still I don’t think that I am at fault in this given situation. I can’t stand against or can’t side with one in this situation. Even Shrawan also told me to avoid any conversation with them, he is scared that they might take it out on me, which I believe is highly unlikely. Even so I am keeping my guard up. I don’t think I could do anything else in the present circumstance.

Yours Vijaya

7 April 1999

Gaytri Devi was discharged from hospital, and she even gave an interview. Her face is completely opposite of her personality. I don’t get this hypocrisy of any politician, be it her or my father-in-law. On one hand he is encouraging girls to get out of their house and do a job, but he is completely different when it comes to me. 

He is being pushy. Today, during lunch time, he came back to the house to have food. I heard him yelling at my mother-in-law. His words broke my heart, “How many times do I need to repeat myself, stop going out. I am so done with you, what do you need? I am giving you all the money that you need. Just focus on your body, you are getting old.”

He was so loud that everyone in the house heard him. Shrawan took me to the rooftop so that we could give them some privacy. It  must be difficult for him, I could see disappointment in his eyes. So, I changed the topic and started talking with him about my high school. 

This trick worked every time he was smiling. When he tried to explain things in between his parents, I knew he was in pain and I didn’t want him to make things hard for him. I pecked his lips. 

He blushed badly and checked if anyone saw us. After checking that no one was there, he kissed my forehead and said that he needed that. We stay there for three hours and talk about all the random things that anyone can think of. 

When we came downstairs, my father-in-law was outside and my mother-in-law was in her bedroom. He asked the maid to serve us dinner in our room. Yeah, we did that again. I think I should not mention things like that, it is way too personal or should I talk about it? Afterall you are my personal property. 

Yours Vijaya