March (12-14)

12 March 1999

Why didn't my mother-in-law notify me about things a day before? Yesterday when I was sleeping she came into my room and asked me to get ready because we have to attend a samuhik vivah. It is basically a group marriage, organized for the section of society which are poor and cannot afford the cost of weddings. Undeniably, marriages are expensive and it costs an arm and a leg, so I reckon that it is a much needed step.

Most of the time, these marriages are conducted on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya. But as usual it is not fixed, as far as I am concerned Akshaya tritiya is next month. Anyways, she donated a huge sum of money in my father-in-law's name. Unfortunately, we met Sukhpal Balwada’s daughter Gyatri Devi. She donated more money than my mother-in-law, and my mother-in-law wanted to donate more money but she was stopped by the PA. He said that this will show the public that she is competing with others and this could ruin their image. 

They were standing in front of each other, but didn’t exchange any words. The tension was spooky, she told me to not talk with anyone, except couples and their parents, and I blindly followed her instructions, as I was intimidated by her behavior. Plainly, I wanted to show that I am on her side, which indeed I am but sometimes it is crucial to show as well. 

Thankfully, without much pickle, the function ended and we came back to our house. I wanted to talk with her, but our journey to our house was extremely quiet. She went abruptly to her room and later I could hear her screaming. I rushed to her room and it was locked. I was about to knock when I heard her talking to my father-in-law. She was talking on the phone and it was on speaker. 

“How is this possible, Gyatri was hospitalized, when she woke up? What if she will participate in the election? That woman… I don’t like her. Either you will find a solution or I will deal with this matter in my way.”

“Rukmini calm down. I had no idea when she woke up, I will make sure you will not cross paths once again.”

Before I could listen more, a maid appeared and I decided to come back to my room. What could be the reason behind their enmity, is it just because they belong to different political parties. I want to know more about it, but I am wondering who will give answers to my questions. I wish Shrawan was here and I don’t even know when he will come back. I am dying of curiosity, come soon and enlighten me about it.

Should I ask someone else about it, there are many people who are serving this household from ages. Or should I ask my mother-in-law directly about it? Can’t you tell me what I should do?

Yours Vijaya

13 March 1999

I didn’t need to ask anyone about Gaytri Devi, my mother-in-law told me about her when we were having lunch. However, I dropped a hint and asked her how I should respond if I ever met anyone who is from a different party?

“Vijaya I always recommend you to stay humble and treat everyone respectfully. Although there are some people who don’t deserve an ounce of respect because of their uncanny behavior, you always have to remember that you are MLA’s daughter-in-law and there are people who are preying on us, they are searching for any opportunity to soar above us. So, whenever you are in public and even if you are dying out of embarrassment or anger, drink up that feeling. It doesn't mean that you need to forgive them, wait until the right time, eventually, the sun will shine on our side of the fence.”

“Mummy, who was the woman that we met yesterday?”

“She is someone who tries to blur out your father-in-law’s image. Do you know about Sukhpal Balwada?” I nodded and she continued, “She is her daughter. When her father died in an accident, she tried her best to frame your father-in-law. She happens to be in a conflict with one of her family members regarding participating in the election. Their conflict ended in an ugly way, he pushed her from the rooftop and later the perpetrator was arrested. She was badly injured and doctors claimed that she is brain dead and there is no chance of her surviving. Miraculously, she survived; although I am happy for her family, I can’t forgive her for whatever she tried to do.” She patted my head and suggested that I should stay away from her. “God knows what is going on in her head, so it is better to maintain distance from her.”

I can’t believe my ears, how for the sake of power anyone can stoop so low. How such people are not afraid of anyone, not even God. I am grateful that my mother told me everything, well now I know about her tumult when she met Gaytri Devi. I think I should stay away from her, I don’t think I could deal with these kinds of people.

Yours Vijaya

14 March 1999

Shrawan came back home in the middle of the night. I was having trouble sleeping. I was thinking again and again about Gaytri Devi, as I read the newspaper and it mentioned how she donated to the communal marriage. 

When the door creaked open, I was in the seventh heaven after seeing Shrawan. He smiled seeing me awake, he pulled me in a hug and kissed my forehead. We embraced each other and made love to each other. He was gentle this time, and asked for my consent over and over again. 

It's true that time heals everything, I forget the moment when I was utterly conscious of him, now I know that no one can ever love me the way he does. I am content that I heard my mother and ventured, otherwise I could never have known that he is a reliable person. 

We were talking about different things, from his stay in Jaipur to the confession that he missed me every moment. He was tired after traveling, plus, it was late that's why he slept while talking. I was satisfied seeing him close to me, after kissing his forehead I slept too.

Next day, we both woke up late, it was eight and I went outside after a bath to have breakfast. I was worried that my mother-in-law would scold me, but she started pulling my leg. “Spend as much time as you could with him, no one knows when he will go back and plan a family. While I don't mind a grand-daughter, I still want you to have a son first, so that you could be free to have more kids or not in future.”

I almost choke on my tea, I want to have children, though it is too soon. I know why she is so desperate to have a grandson because granddaughter will sooner or later go to her in-law house and she wants someone to inherit her fortune. This is heartbreaking that I had to send her off.

Comeon Vijaya you don’t have a daughter, stop imagining these things. Sometimes… Okay, not sometimes, almost everyday I thought about what would happen to me? I literally cried, while imagining that I have to send my daughter away. 

Shrawan slept till 10 and I know he could have slept even after 12 if I hadn't woken him up. “Baby sleep with me, I had the best sleep of my life and I don't want to wake up.”

“Get up my lazy husband because your mother wants a grandson,” I tried to explain what had happened when we were having breakfast.

“Now, if my mother wants, I think that… we should have one,” He pulled me in sheets. 

“Have some shame Shrawan, the Sun is shining bright in the sky and you are thinking about unholy things.”

He is a master when it comes to flirting. When things were about to get steamy once again, I asked him how many girls fall for him. He shamelessly started counting the total number of girls who had proposed to him in front of me. I pouted and he kissed my lips, and said in his heavy voice, “I only fall for one, and I will only fall for one.” At that moment, along with his face and body, I found his voice sexy as well.

Don’t judge me, he is the only guy in my life and I never even thought about any other guy as sexy. Oh My God! I became bold… I got intimate and I am using synonyms like hot and sexy for my husband. Honestly, it was not as gross as I had imagined. I did enjoy our intimacy and the care I received afterwards. At this rate, he will spoil me.  

Yours Vijaya