Aimee, I'd Really Just Rather Show You the Ketchup

Vanessa

My parents had long since left my university in a flurry of tight embraces and weepy kisses and I was finally alone. I was carefully folding my favorite pair of black denim jeans with the rips in the knees when the door swung open.

I had yet to meet my roommate but gathered by the neatly made bed adorned with simple plaid linens and a pile of books stacked precisely on an otherwise barren wooden desk, she had already arrived at the dorm. As I set my pants down on a low shelf in the narrow closet, I glanced over to see a petite blonde with red, wire-rimmed glasses staring at me with her mouth agape. I furrowed my brows, thinking that she looked vaguely familiar.

Taking a step forward, she pressed her palm to her chest. "Vanessa?" She inquired as she pushed her frames up her pointy nose. "Vanessa Adams, is that you?"

I tilted my head, studying her. "Yes, it's me...and you are? I'm sorry. I can't seem to quite place your name."

She pointed to herself enthusiastically. "It's me! Quinn Spears! From middle school!"

Oh no. My heart sank. I remembered her perfectly now. She was known as the class gossip of the seventh grade and had no qualms blabbing to my crush, Aaron Long in front of the entire room how I felt about him. I shuddered, recalling his cruel response in the form of a deep belly laugh and a shout of, "Ew! She's ugly." It had only given me a complex about the way I looked for years and did wonders for my self-esteem but hey, it's no big deal, right?

"Hi, Quinn," I said weakly, forcing a tight smile. I shut the cabinet-sized closet door and sat down on the firm mattress, shifting to find a comfortable spot. "How have you been?" You know, since that time you ruined my life.

Ignoring my question and letting out a shrill squeal, she rushed over to give me a hug that constricted my breathing. "This is so exciting!" She gushed. "I can't believe we're roommates. This is going to be the best year ever."

"Yea, I guess." I gently pushed her away, tucking a strand of wavy brunette hair behind my ear and returning my attention back to my unpacking. Except my idea of a great start to college doesn't include sharing a space with a girl that made my life hell during my formative ages.

Sighing, I picked up a picture I had snapped of Matt and myself before I left Connecticut and cradled it in my arms. I had grown accustomed to my brown eyes and nondescript features, accepting that I wasn't exactly the troll I had convinced myself that I was.

But still, Matt's out of your league. I shivered as my gaze raked over his image. Even though he had a brooding expression, pierced ears, and a tattoo of his deceased mother's name on his forearm, he was the opposite of a bad boy. However, that didn't mean that he wasn't still capable of breaking my heart.

I lovingly set the frame down on the desk, remembering that day vividly. We were lying in the plush green grass, not caring that the morning dew was soaking through our clothes. As I snuggled into his neck, I listened intently as he read aloud a passage from his favorite novel. The deep timbre of his voice reverberated against my ear, and a Cedarwood aroma wafted from his t-shirt. Whenever someone summoned me to think of my happy place, that was it.

We look so happy. I ran my thumb over his face as a sudden wave of homesickness overtook me. You'll be together again soon.

Suddenly, Quinn yanked the photo off the desk, startling me. "Is this your boyfriend?" She inquired, snapping on a mouthful of bubblegum. "He's dreamy."

I grabbed the frame from her hands. Oh no you don't. You will not ruin another relationship for me. "Yes," I replied curtly.

Unfazed by my harsh tone, she plopped down on her bed with a wistful smile as she swung her legs and twirled a lock of flaxen strands around one finger. "What's his name?"