You Have Been A Naughty Girl

Vanessa

"I feel terrible about Addison." Matt and I were snuggled into a cozy burrow of fleece and plaid blankets laid out on the carpet in front of the Christmas tree. The soft white lights strung around the evergreen pine danced and shimmered in the dimness of the room.

Pulling me close into the crook of his arm, he nuzzled my neck. "Babe, that's just how Addison is though. You know she loves the spotlight and is no stranger to throwing tantrums when the attention is shifted away from her."

"I'm not so sure that's the case this time," I continued, biting my lip. "I think she genuinely feels left out. I hadn't really considered how our dating would impact her. But think about it. We used to do everything together and now we are kind of excluding her."

Sighing, Matt dragged his hands down his face. "I hate to admit, but you're probably right." Turning over onto his side, he propped his head in his palm and reached out to finger a strand of hair that curled around my cheek. "It doesn't help either that she hardly gets to see you anymore since you've gone off to college. And when you are home..."

Matt didn't have to finish the sentence for me to be able to fill in the blank. The unspoken words hung in the air as heavy as the unfallen snow. I was a terrible friend. I had broken the cardinal rule from the bible of the female bond; I had abandoned my girl for a man.

Nearly every second that I had found myself back in Connecticut was spent nestled up in Matt's embrace. And the seldom moments that Addison was welcomed along with us; she was invited as an afterthought.

Groaning, I pressed my forehead against my boyfriend's. "I'm the worst. I should be banned from the sisterhood."

Matt chuckled, placing a kiss of reassurance on the top of my head. "Don't beat yourself up, V. It's not intentional and she has to realize that this long-distance stuff hasn't been a picnic at the river for us either. You're doing the best you can given the circumstances, but I know she misses you. A girl's day couldn't hurt."

Smiling, I ran my fingers down his bicep, shivering at the feel of the firm muscle. Oh, how I missed him too. "You mean she hasn't received her fill of gossip and manicures from hanging out with you?"

"Oh, she had her fill alright," he replied, rolling his eyes. "Of my face, that is. No doubt that she's grown tired of having to stare at my mug day in and day out. I'm sure a day with you will be a welcome change. You're far prettier."

"Nonsense," I cooed, stroking the chiseled contours of his jawline. "Who could ever grow bored of gazing at you?"

He leaned in, placing a scorching smooch on my lips. "Santa's already left your present, you know. You've proven that you've been nice and are no longer required to suck up."

"That's not what I'm doing!" I exclaimed, a grin tugging at the corners of my mouth. "I'm just speaking the truth. You're incredibly handsome."

"Alright, alright," he answered, holding up his palms. "If that's the story you want to stick to...But back to Addison. How about I make myself scarce for a day and you two can go shopping or braid each other's hair? Whatever it is that you girls do when you get together."

"Mostly just discuss you," I teased, reaching underneath the tree for the gift that was neatly wrapped in silver paper and tied with a matching bow. "I have something for you."

Grinning, he accepted the large rectangle object from my grasp and held it up against his ear as he shook it. "Hmm...I wonder what it could be. It doesn't sound like a new car."

"Maybe next year," I joked. "Remember, I'm living on a college budget."

He gently tore at the foiled paper as though it were as precious as the present itself. As the metallic wrapping fell away, a simple black frame was uncovered. He gazed up at me with a sheepish expression, his cheeks coloring to a rosy hue. "I'm sorry your boyfriends an idiot but what is this?"

I scooted over to him and placed my chin on his shoulder so that we could both look at the picture together. "It's your very own star. Well, it's actually Hailey's star. See?" I pointed to the map of the night sky, flooded with constellations, and zeroed in on a single pinprick that had Hailey written beneath it.

Matt's Adam's apple began to bob as he swallowed continuously. He gazed over at me, his eyes glistening. "V, this is the most thoughtful thing anyone's ever done for me," he breathed. "My mom would have loved this. I love this."

He clutched the frame to his chest, and I leaned in to trace the looping cursive writing that tattooed out his mother's name on his forearm. "I know how much she means to you. Now, whenever you look up at that star, you will know that a piece of her is still here with you."

He quickly wiped his eyes, shifting away so that I wouldn't see him tear up. "Well, shit. Now I have to exchange your present for something better."

I sandwiched his face in between my palms, pressing a kiss to the tip of his nose. "Matt, whatever you got me, I'm sure I'll love it because it came from you."

He reached into the pocket of his jeans, producing a small black velvet box. "Don't worry," he teased. "I know how this might appear, but I promise it's not a ring."

Accepting the tiny gift, I ran my fingers over the smooth outlining before snapping open the lid. A silver chain necklace nestled into a satin cushion, shimmered in greeting. Threaded through the delicate piece was a single pearl in a color fitting for me; black. I chuckled softly as I tenderly fingered the jewelry. "It's perfect."

Gently taking the box from my hands, he moved behind me. I lifted my hair so that he could drape the pearl piece around my neck. "I wanted to get you something nice," he began. "But I was stumped as to what. I thought about buying you a diamond necklace but something about that didn't feel quite right. And then I saw this...and just knew that it was made for you."

I fingered the pearl at my décolletage, smiling at how well he knew me. Then turning around, I grabbed him by the front of his sweatshirt and brought his lips close to mine. "I'll never take it off," I murmured, closing my mouth over his in a heated kiss.

I allowed my hands to travel down to the hem of his sweatshirt, yanking the garment up off over his head. From there, I greedily explored the smooth firm planes of his chest and abdomen, musing that his body was the only present I needed.

And with that thought, I proceeded to take off the rest of its wrapping.

Matt cupped a finger beneath my chin as he rose onto his knees. "You know, I think I may need to have a chat with Santa about revising his report on you. I do believe you have just made the naughty list."

He brought his hands down to the front of my blouse, slowly undoing my buttons in a sensual manner. "You have been a bad girl, Vanessa."

He nudged the silky fabric off my shoulders, exposing my black lacey bra, the one that I had worn specifically because I knew how wild it drove him. Sure enough, he groaned with lust as he raised his gaze towards the ceiling. "I must have been more well-behaved this year than I thought with a gift as sexy as this one."

Once we had finished undressing one another, he laid me back onto the cushion of blankets. Smoothing my hair away from my face, he placed a kiss to my temple. He then proceeded to move his lips down as he continued to tease my bare skin with the sensation of his flicking tongue.

Nudging open my legs with his knee, he positioned himself in between my things. As he entered me, I gripped onto the linens that surrounded me. No matter how many times we made love, the fullness that I experienced when he slipped himself inside always made my toes curl and my eyelashes flutter with pleasure.

He slowly began to thrust, and our bodies quickly fell into synchronized movements. "I love you, Matt," I whispered, reaching out to run my hands through his hair.

He lifted my necklace off my glistening skin, twirling the chain around his finger before pressing his lips to the pearl. "I love you too, Vanessa. I never want you to forget how much I do."

His affirmation was the final push I needed to fall into the arms of utter bliss and true to form, he jumped in right after me.