I Slept With Addison

Matt

"It's no big deal," I assured myself as I paced back and forth across my bedroom, dreading the phone call I was about to make.

"So, Vanessa might dump you a little but it's not as though you haven't been single before." I gave myself a pat on the back. "You got this."

Taking a deep breath, I pressed the video call button and she answered almost immediately. "Hey, Matt," she greeted, her cheeks rosy. "How's it going?"

I squinted at the tall windows in the background of her location, noting that unless her dorm room got a serious upgrade, she wasn't there. "Where are you?"

"Oh." She glanced back at her surroundings. "I'm at a classmate's studio apartment. We're working on a project together. I guess I forgot to mention it."

I lifted a brow but didn't question her further. I supposed it was good for her to get out and mingle with her peers. "Alright, well since you're busy, I'll let you get back to it." I could procrastinate on dealing with her wrath for just a shade longer.

Concern furrowed her brows. "Is everything okay?"

I plopped down on the sofa, my knee jittering from nerves. "I just wanted to say hello to my beautiful girl," I lied. "And now that I've had, goodbye."

She laughed. "Matt, you're a horrible liar. I can tell when you're nervous about something so out with it. What's going on?"

Chewing on my nail, I sighed. "Can you go in the bathroom or somewhere a bit more private? There actually is something I need to speak to you about."

The smile dropped from her face. "Sure," she answered softly, standing up and making her way out of the loft and into the hallway.

"Okay, Matt," she continued once she was alone. "You're starting to scare me. What's wrong?"

I blew out a breath, wiping my sweaty palms across the thighs of my jeans. "I want you to know that I'm telling you this because honesty and trust within a relationship are very important to me."

Her eyes instantly went dark. "Did Aimee kiss you? That bitch. I swear to God, I'm going to knock her teeth out the next time I see-"

"V, no. We didn't kiss. Well, technically we did when you and I were broken up but-"

"What! She just couldn't wait to sink her claws into you, could she?" She pressed her lips into a firm line, the disdain on her face evident.

"Vanessa...focus," I stammered, beginning to feel flustered by the whole conversation. "We can talk about that later. That's not what this about."

"Oh, really?" She scoffed, shaking her head. "Because it's certainly about that now. Is that the real reason why you broke up with me? So that you could have a go at Aimee?"

My heart began thudding rapidly against my ribcage and I couldn't see a way to get out of the hole that I was digging myself into. "I slept with Addison," I blurted.

Well, that's certainly not the way to do it.

"Excuse me?" She shrieked, her cheeks turning scarlet. "You did what? You asshole!"

I held up my palm, debating if I should just hang up the phone now, toss it into a river, and cut my losses or attempt to sort this mess out. "No...that's not what I meant...I'm trying to say that we fell asleep together...intentionally."

I winced. This is bad. Truly, truly horrible.

She scowled at me. "Do you care to explain how that came to be because you are treading on thin ice, Matthew."