Angry Sparks And A Blazing Flame

Vanessa

"You go first," I said to Ryan as we sat across from each other on the hardwood floor of his studio. "I'm too nervous to start."

It was the week before Christmas break and our writing assignment was due the following day. We had our stories laid out before us, ready to share.

Clearing his throat, he nodded as he picked up his work and shook the papers out with a flourish.

"Everyone knows the story of Ariel, the beautiful mermaid with the flaming red hair and spirited desire to explore the human world. She would stop at nothing to achieve her dream. However, this isn't about Ariel. This is the tale of Aquaria, the mermaid with silver-white hair and a tail of blue."

"Whereas Ariel was vibrant and warm, Aquaria was icy and closed off. Instead of embracing the land above her and daring to explore it, she developed a deep-seated fear of the unknown."

"Aquaria swam away from what frightened her, not knowing that if she actually gave what terrified her a chance, she would seek the happiness that she had yet to find in her cold and isolated kingdom..."

Ryan's story continued with Aquaria's adventures of being forced to live in the human world after being taken hostage by a group of sailors who called themselves, The Manhattans. She was resistant to learning the ways of this strange culture until one day, she met a young cobbler whom she fell madly in love with. She got to see the land through the cobbler's eyes and slowly found herself as enamored with her new home as she was with him.

After he finished reading, Ryan glanced up at me expectantly.

"Wow," I breathed. "You really nailed my character." My cheeks instantly flushed warm as I scrambled to rephrase that sentence. "I mean...you summed me up quite nicely."

He beamed at me. "Thanks. I wasn't sure it was any good. Give me a paintbrush and I'm a modern day Da Vinci but thrust a pen my way and suddenly, I'm all thumbs."

With a grin on his face, he patted my knee. "Okay, your turn."

I held up my palm. "Not so fast. Who is this cobbler that you speak of? I don't seem to recall having been swept up in the throes of passion by a New Yorker."

He threw his head back, laughing loudly. "Ah, you see, that's where my creative liberties came into play. Everybody loves a steamy romance with a sexy male lead, so I infused one into my tale."

Gathering up my assignment, I smiled. "I'm happy to hear you say that. Because that's exactly what I have in store for you."

My cheeks burned crimson as I realized that I was inferring that since my story revolved around him, I considered him to be sexy. I shook my head. "Um...yea. How about I just read it?"

He gestured at me. "Go ahead. I eagerly await."

I took in a deep breath, focusing on the words splashed across the page.

"Bryan wasn't the type of guy to fall in love easily. In fact, he wasn't certain if he had ever been in love before. He had short-lived romances but none of them captured his attention for more than two weeks."

"He was content with living his life the way that it was with art being his only mistress. However, what he didn't know was that everything was about to change the day he met Sierra."

"She had a vivacious smile and hair wilder than the untamed sea. She-"

"Stop," Ryan interjected.

I glanced up from my work to see him holding up his hand, the broad smile that he had worn only moments before, dropped from his face. The warmth in his peridot gaze that I had begun to familiarize myself with was suddenly replaced by something far colder and darker.