Red-Hot Desire

Addison

"I have nothing to say to him," I stated flatly, riffling through my closet for cornflower blue jean shorts. Where are they? I searched the recesses of my brain trying to recall where I had last seen them. I smacked my forehead. Of course, on the floor of Joe Getty's apartment that night we had played naked Twister.

"Addie, please," Vanessa implored, scooting across the carpet on her knees until she was by my side. She grasped my hand. "Come out to dinner tonight. I can't have my best friend and boyfriend not speaking to each other."

Pausing from stepping into a lilac pleated skirt, I stared at her as though she had just sprouted a tail and wings. "Excuse me? Come again, your who now? I thought you two were just 'seeing where it leads'," I spit out, making air quotes with my fingers.

A flush that matched the linens on my bed, spread across her cheeks and she lowered her gaze. "After you and Matt got into it...he and I had a chat and decided to get back together again. So really, we owe you for that."

Whoopee, I'm so honored, I thought sarcastically, buttoning my top. "Well in that case, that changes everything," I blurted out. "I simply must call him immediately and praise him for not jerking my best friend around." I rolled my eyes. "Give me a break, V."

"Addie, come on," she pleaded, pouting her lips at me. "He's your friend and you two have never gone more than a day without speaking."

Piling my hair into a high ponytail, I shook my head. "Vanessa, I said, no. N-O. I'm not seeing him and that's final.

A few hours later, I saw Matt. He was seated at our usual spot at the diner and had a been a tea kettle, steam would have been pouring from my spout at the sight of him. I swiveled on my heels to do a U-turn back to the entrance, but Vanessa blocked my path.

"What is he doing here?" I hissed, gesturing at the dumb oaf. "You liar!" I jabbed her in the ribs as I spoke. "You claimed it would be just the two of us. You tricked me."

"I took a page from your book," she grumbled, grasping me by the arm and dragging me down the aisle towards Matt.

He sprung from the vinyl booth the moment he laid eyes on me. "Why did you bring her? I thought this was a date."

Scoffing, I slid into the seat, pulling a compact from my purse and combing my fingers through my waves. "Vanessa, I didn't realize you brought the vermin back with you from New York."

"You must be referring to your own reflection," Matt muttered, taking a reluctant seat. "You look like a beady-eyed little rat wearing a wig and heels."

I slammed the mirror down on the table, cracking the glass. "You're an asshole!"

"Alright, enough, you two," Vanessa interrupted, sitting beside Matt and handing us both menus. "I quit babysitting when I was sixteen." She glanced over at her boyfriend. "Matt, why don't you share your good news with Addison?"

I arched a brow as he lowered his gaze and studied his folded hands. "I got a promotion to waiter," he mumbled.

She nudged him in the side. "And?"

Leaning back against the cushion, he exhaled. "And my boss believes that if I keep up the hard work, I'm on track to making management."

Vanessa straightened her shoulders, a beaming smile on her face. "Apparently Matt is fantastic with the customers and is known to be quite charming."

Rolling my eyes, I scoffed loudly. "Please! He's about as charming as the serpent that convinced Eve to eat the forbidden apple. And we all know how that turned out. The human race was forever doomed."