Santa's Sexy Package

Vanessa

I woke up in the early hours on Christmas Eve to the sound of Matt rustling around in the dark. "Damn it!" He exclaimed as he bumped his shin on the post of my bedframe. I fumbled around in the grey shadows of the room to turn on the lamp beside me.

Sitting up, I rubbed my blurry eyes. "What are you doing?" I asked through a yawn.

He paused from stepping into his jeans to give me a peck on the cheek. "Sorry, babe, I didn't mean to wake you. I have to head to work but I promise I'll come straight back when I'm done." He plopped down on the edge of the bed, tightening the laces of his boots.

"What do you mean you have to work?" I questioned as disappointment sank heavy in my chest. "It's Christmas Eve, Matt." I glanced over at the glowing red numbers on my alarm clock. "And it's six am." There go my plans of us spending a lazy morning in bed making love.

He tossed a look at me over his shoulder, his forehead scrunched up. "Yea? What's your point? You think the bills stop just because it's a holiday?"

I flung the comforter back, shivering as my bare feet touched the cold wooden floor. "No, but I did think you would have at least taken the day off so that you could share it with your girlfriend who you haven't seen or barely spoken to in a month."

He shrugged his sweatshirt on over his head as though what I had just said had no effect on his decision. He sighed. "Listen, Vanessa, I'm sorry to let you down. I know this sucks but I don't have the privilege of having mommy and daddy pay my way through college or taking care of all my other expenses. You know my dad needs my help with that kind of stuff. I can't afford to miss a single shift. No matter what the reason."

Crossing my arms over my chest, I pouted at the floorboards. "I guess I'm not as important to you as I thought I was."

In an instant, he was by my side, kneeling in front of me and kissing my knuckles. "You know that's not true. I love you more than anything, but I need to be able to survive."

"Yea, whatever," I muttered beneath my breath, well aware that I was getting off the exit for tantrum town. "I knew this long-distance relationship thing was never going to work out between us."

He stilled, his grey eyes clouding over to storms of black and I feared that I had should have stopped at the pity party two miles back instead of racing ahead to the next destination. But what was the point of going on a guilt trip if I couldn't visit all the sights?

"Excuse me?" He said firmly, dropping my hands. "Why are you turning this into something personal against you?"

My cheeks went hot at his cavalier attitude. Can't he at least pretend to sulk over us being thrust apart on a major holiday? He gets moody about everything else. "Honestly, Matt, what's the point of us being together if we don't even see each other?" I spat out.

He stared at me, his mouth agape. "Vanessa, come on. You don't mean that and you know it."

I jutted out my chin. "I do. Maybe we should just break up." Fight for me.

"You're being unreasonable right now." Dragging his hands down his face, he took a deep breath before sitting beside me on the bed and clutching my knee. "Alright. Out with it. Clearly, you've been upset about this for a while now so tell me what's really going on."

I dabbed at the tears that suddenly misted my eyes. "I don't understand why you can't just move to the city. There are jobs there too and I'm sure there are community colleges as well. Why do you need to stay here?"

Reaching over, he gently wiped my wet cheeks with the pads of his thumbs. "Vanessa," he began, his voice as soothing and warm as a bath in the harsh of winter. "Where would I live? How could I afford tuition, rent, and everything else? Are you aware of how insanely expensive the cost of living in New York is?"

I shrugged my shoulders, fingering a bleach spot on the thigh of his dark jeans. "So, let's find a place together then. I'll get a job too to help pay for it."

A wistful smile tugged at his lips, and he leaned in to give me a light kiss on the forehead. Then clasping me to him, he rubbed my back. "I love you so much, V but we've only been dating four months. Do you honestly think we're ready for such a huge step? Not only that, but I could never expect you to get a full-time job on top of your school workload. You would burn yourself out in no time."

"It would be worth it if it meant that we were together." Teardrops soaked into the collar of his sweatshirt as he continued to hold me. "I just miss you all of the time," I whispered into his ear.

Pulling back, he looked me in the eye and the tenderness written in his expression only made me ache even more at the inevitable goodbye lurking just around the corner. "I'm here now though and I promise you're not going through this alone. So, let's not make hasty decisions and end this relationship before it's even had a chance to begin."

Nodding, I buried my face into the fabric of his hoodie and inhaled his cedarwood scent. "At least you have Addison here to help you through the loneliness. I don't even have my best friend around to whine to about missing my boyfriend. I'm completely alone."

Matt chuckled softly to himself as he stroked his fingers through my hair. "Tell you what. I'll send her back with you. I could use the peace and quiet."

A small giggle erupted from my throat as I looked up and tugged at the strings of his sweatshirt. "I'm sorry for getting upset," I whispered. "I don't want to break-up."

He gave me a quick pat on the thigh before standing up. Then leaning down, he planted a kiss on my lips. "I have to go but how about when I get home, we celebrate the fuck out of Christmas?" He gestured at nothing in particular. "We'll bake all the holiday cookies, which are guaranteed to be disgusting if I have a hand in making them while we blast the cheeriest seasonal music, complete with some off-key serenades from yours truly. We can even invite that Addison girl over and treat her to a real spectacle."

I clapped my hands in delight, already feeling immensely better. "Can we wear matching PJ's too?" I asked with a bat of my eyelashes.

He grimaced slightly but still managed to find a smile just for me. "Sure, whatever you want, sweetheart. Anything to make you happy." And happy I was.

"What do you think?" Matt emerged from the bedroom later that evening, taking a quick spin and spreading his arms as he showcased his red and green striped pajamas.

"You are the sexiest elf I've ever seen," I murmured, pulling him to me for a searing kiss. "And I can see you've even brought a package for me to unwrap later," I teased, letting my fingers travel down to the crotch of his bottoms and giving a gentle squeeze.

"I wonder what it could be," he mused, a twinkle making his eyes sparkle. I was certain that he must have hated every second of being forced into wearing corny pajamas, but it filled my heart with a glow to know that he was doing it all for me. I knew that he hadn't been lying when he told Addison that love will make one do things that they never in a million years imagined that they would do.

Taking him by the hand, I led him into the kitchen and together, we began gathering the ingredients needed for sugar cookies. As the island transformed into an oasis of frosting, sprinkles, and chocolate chips, the air swirled with something truly magical. When an upbeat Christmas song blasted throughout the room, Matt caught me off guard by grabbing hold of my fingers and twirling me around. The string of garland and lights woven above the cabinets, blurred into a spotlight.

He dipped me down low and gazed into my eyes, heat pulsating between us. "May I have the honor of kissing you?" He asked.

"Hmm," I replied, tapping my chin. "There's no mistletoe above us but I think I'll allow it."

As he wrapped me up tightly into his arms, my fingers felt along the counter for the flour. Then grabbing a fistful, I pulled back and peppered his face with it. Flurries of white clung to his lashes and dotted his cheeks as though they were snowflakes.

It was in that moment that Addison breezed through the door and promptly burst into laughter like a true Ice Queen.

***