I Simply Can't Go Another Second Longer Without Having You

Addison

"Have you gone to any frat parties yet?" Silence.

I glanced over at Vanessa who was too busy ignoring me so that she could make googly eyes at Matt from across the table as she held his hand. I rolled my eyes. If I had known how annoying they would be as a couple, I would have never pushed them so hard to get together.

Shifting in the vinyl booth, I waved my hand frantically in front of my friend's face. "Hello! Earth to Vanessa! I'm talking to you."

"Huh what?" She asked distractedly. "I didn't catch what you said." No kidding.

She had her chin propped in her hands as she continued to gaze adoringly at Matt as though he were some kind of Greek God or something. How can she fawn all over him like that? Doesn't she have any pride? I'll admit that he was cute, but he wasn't that special. He was just Matt to me.

I snarled at her through clenched teeth. "I asked you if you've attended any frat parties yet."

She shifted her sights off of Matt, suddenly taking great interest in studying the menu. "Um...no. Not yet," she replied, tucking a lock of brunette hair behind one ear.

I raised a brow. Interesting. "Why not? Imagine all the hot guys that must be there."

Matt looked up from the list of food options to shoot me a scowl. "I don't think she's exactly looking to scope out dates at the moment, Addie."

"Of course not, baby. I'm completely satisfied with you," she cooed, grabbing a hold of his hand, and clutching it. She shrugged. "I guess I just haven't had the opportunity. I don't know anybody here besides Quinn and she's not exactly the partying type. I have no desire to drink shitty beer while I stand in the corner by myself, scrubbing the stain out of my dress after Becky who has had one too many, drunkenly sloshed her drink all over me."

"That's super-specific." Taking a sip of my water, I waved her off. "Well now that I'm here, I could go with you. I'll bet there's a party happening tonight."

Matt jingled his keys at me. "Aren't you forgetting something? I'm your ride, Addie and I don't feel like mingling with a bunch of Kevins until the wee hours of the morning when I have to work the early shift."

"Oh, shush," I retorted, pressing my hand against his face. "You can go home and cry into your pillow about your long-distance relationship while I stay here and have a wild night out with my best friend whom I rarely get to see anymore. I'll catch a train back to Connecticut."

Matt huffed at me. "Great," he muttered beneath his breath. "Just what she needs, a bad influence."

Glaring at him, I gave him a swift kick in the shin underneath the table. "Excuse me! I'm not a bad influence. I just encourage people to embrace the fun times." I gave him a pointed look. "Besides, you're hardly one to talk. All you do is get into trouble and you're her boyfriend."

He threw up his hands. "There's a big difference between me getting a detention because I didn't do my homework and you egging on my girlfriend to kiss another dude."

Vanessa grabbed hold of his hand, bringing it to her lips and kissing his knuckles. "You've got nothing to worry about, honey and I could use a night out to blow off some steam."

Staring at him earnestly, I crossed my heart with my fingers. "I promise, I won't let her get too drunk and if any guy tries to smuggle her upstairs, I'll kick his ass for you."

She nodded enthusiastically. "I'll leave all the flirting and making out to Addison."

"I know. I trust you." Sighing, he slumped back in the booth. "Alright, if that's what you want, I won't stop you."