Ryan

Vanessa

I cracked one eye open as sunlight came filtering in through the gauzy curtains. Dust particles were illuminated by the stream of rays pouring in through the window. Something feels off. Rolling over in bed, I expected to be greeted by the familiar outline of my grandmother's cherry oak desk and the Harry Styles posters taped to my sage green wall but instead, it was the sight of Quinn snoring softly beneath her covers that filled my vision. That's right. I'm not home anymore. I'm in college.

I closed my eyes, letting it truly sink in that I was in my bed that wasn't my own. In a dorm that wasn't my house. Attending classes at a university that wasn't my high school. Suddenly, I bolted up. Crap! Speaking of classes, I have Introduction to Accounting at eight. What time is it?

After a day spent settling into the dorm and exploring the campus, I collapsed into bed last night in utter exhaustion, neglecting to set my alarm. In my state of extreme tiredness, I hadn't even bothered to call Matt to wish him goodnight.

Grappling for the clock on my desk side and knocking over the photo of us in the process, I strained through blurry eyes to read what it said. 7:45. Oh no! I flung off the covers and flew out of bed, grabbing a sweatshirt out of the closet and tossing it on over my t-shirt. The sweatpants I wore to sleep last night would have to do. So much for looking cute and making a good first impression on the student body.

As I scurried past the mirror hanging on my roommate's side of the dorm, I grimaced at my wild brunette waves sticking up all over the place. I hastily secured it into a messy bun as I hurried down the corridor. Where is Mayor Hall, I wondered, pulling out the campus map that I had shoved into my sweatshirt pocket from my outing the previous evening.

I was so engrossed in studying the piece of crumpled paper in my hands that I wasn't even aware of the wall of muscled chest barreling straight towards me until it was too late. I crashed into his body, sending his books flying from his arms and scattering across the tiled floor. "Hey, watch where you're going," he growled, shooting me a dirty look as he crouched down to retrieve his belongings. "Freshmen," he muttered disapprovingly.

"Sorry," I mumbled, my cheeks burning scarlet. I scooped down to retrieve a textbook and handed it to him. Scowling, he yanked it from my hand without so much as a thanks.

I continued on my journey, spending another twenty minutes searching for my classroom before breathlessly arriving outside the closed wooden door. Dozens of heads glanced up at me as I pulled on the handle and the hinges loudly creaked in the cemetery silence. "You're late," the Professor scolded, scribbling illegible writing on the whiteboard.

She nodded towards a stack of packets on a table near the front of the room. "Take one of those and find a seat. Tomorrow the door will be locked at Eight AM sharp. Be here on time or you can participate in class from the hallway."

My face was on fire as I scanned the room for an open desk and was greeted by sixty pairs of eyes studying me and a couple of smirks. I spotted an empty chair in one of the back rows and clamored my way up, still huffing from my jog around the school grounds. "Is this seat taken?" I asked the pretty brunette who was sitting to the left of it. She glanced over at her friend and they both snickered.

Alright. I'll take that as a no. I slid into the desk and slumped down, raising my hood over my head.

"Class," the teacher began, clapping her hands. "Please take out your textbooks and turn to page seven. You may start with exercise two. You have ten minutes to complete the problem."

Crap! I'm so screwed. My heart slammed into my ribcage as I realized that in my haste, I had forgotten to grab any of my supplies, no pen, no notebook, and especially no textbook. I looked around in a panic, hoping the solution to my problem would present itself. In a mortifying way, it finally did.