Explain To My Girlfriend Why I Was In Your Bed, Letting You Give Me A Rubdown

Matt

I tumbled out of bed as the alarm clock blared its shrilling tone at the crack of dawn. Hell, it might have even been before daybreak judging from the dark stillness that still blanketed my room.

With Vanessa back in New York, I had reverted to picking up double shifts at my job to make an income that I could afford to live on. Now that I was in college, my father expected me to contribute to the grocery bill as well as the mortgage.

"Living isn't free, son," he would always lecture me.

With my eyes still half-closed, I rummaged around on the carpet for the first pair of jeans that I could locate. I had worked until midnight the previous evening and was barely functioning at such an hour early. Or would it be considered late for the night owls?

With grogginess, I robotically my way through the rest of my morning routine before getting into my car and rubbing the blurriness from my vision.

My lids grew heavy as I made the silent drive down the darkened roads, the streetlamps casting a soft glow onto nature as though they were a makeshift sun. I rolled down the windows to let the crisp morning air filter in through the car and slapped my cheeks a couple of times to wake myself up a bit.

"Whose idea was it to open up a pizza shop this early?" I grumbled.

The question was rhetorical as I knew full well that it was my boss who suggested the restaurant start serving bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast pies after he had seen a commercial from one of the competitors offering the dish.

I dragged myself into the restaurant under the watchful glare of Aimee but had little time to concern myself with her as business almost instantly began to pick up due to the curiosity of diners seeking to experience something new.

From there, a steady stream of customers had filed in and out of the shop until closing time. By then, my back was screaming at me for hours spent bending over to wipe tables and hauling heavy bins full of dirty dishes.

"Do you want a massage," Aimee cooed, pursing her lips as I rubbed the muscles at the base of my spine.

I shot her a disgusted glare. "No thanks," I muttered.

My eyes wandered over to the large clock hanging above the back booths and I sighed. It was late but the day wasn't over yet. I still had a mountain of schoolwork to complete, my only motivation being Addison's offered assistance.

I burst through her bedroom door just shy of eleven and plopped down on her bed with a grunt. She was seated at her vanity, writing furiously in a furry pink journal but swiveled around to acknowledge my presence.

"Sheesh!" she exclaimed, raking her gaze over me. "You look awful. Tough day?"

I dragged my hands down my face, hoping to wipe the exhaustion away. "I'm not sure. It's all been a blur. All I can say is that I suggest you have an ambulance on speed dial because I'm certain I'm on the brink of collapsing."

She smirked. "It sounds as though you are in desperate need of some solid rest. Why don't you take it easy tonight?"

I lifted a brow. "You'll use any excuse to evade doing homework, huh?" I nodded at the furball she had clutched in her grasp. "What are you working on because I know that's not the biology assignment that you were moaning about unless you're experimenting with breeding a new species of creature."

She snapped the diary shut and jutted out her chin. "None of your business. It's private."

"Aw come on, Addie," I teased. "You know I can't resist a juicy read. What is it?"