Feeling Cute, Might Break-Up Later

Vanessa

"Have you lost your mind?"

Those were the words I muttered to myself as I trudged across campus in the swiftly falling flecks of snow. Bundling further into my jacket and blowing into my hands to keep them from getting frostbite, I passed by a couple strolling arm in arm. Fresh tears pricked the back of my eyelids.

"Love is in the air," I mumbled. It was Valentine's Day and everywhere I went- the library, the lounge, and even the co-ed showers where I could overhear the moans of a duo in the throes of passion, I was reminded of how alone I was. I had gone completely insane to ever believe that my relationship with Matt had a chance of lasting.

Screw this bullshit. Valentine's Day is just a made-up holiday anyways.

And as I sat down at the computer lab to pour over an accounting spreadsheet, I had almost convinced myself that I was fine. That is, until a broad-shouldered male wearing a pastel pink shirt surprised his girlfriend with an obnoxiously large teddy bear and a dozen red roses. She shrieked with glee, and I cursed Little Tony's Big Pizzeria for scheduling my boyfriend to work on a national and sacred holiday.

Screw this bullshit, I thought, closing my textbook. Forget homework and essays. I want a candlelit dinner and a heart-shaped box of chocolates that I can gorge myself on.

But instead of doing any of that, I settled upon having a threesome in my dorm room.

My good pals Ben and Jerry, whom I had grown to be rather acquainted with, kept me company as tear drops splattered over the framed photograph of Matt and I that I had been cradling. My spoon had just made contact with the bottom of my pint of Cherry Garcia when the sound of keys jingled in the doorknob.

I quickly scrubbed my face so that Quinn wouldn't catch on to the fact that I had been crying but my swollen eyelids, the traitors, gave me away in an instant. As she removed her coat, her gaze fell upon me, and she paused. Then furrowing her brows, she placed one hand on her hip. "That's it. I'm fed up with your constant bawling, Vanessa. Get up. We're going out."

Striding across the room, she attempted to wrestle the carton of ice cream out of my hands, but I beat her off with the spoon. "No! I'm staying right here in my cozy bed, wrapped up in my warm pajamas."

Narrowing her eyes, she studied my lounge wear. "More like tattered and homely." She rummaged through my closet, pulling out a black mini dress and tossing it at me. "Here, put this on. The first step to feeling better is looking better."

I nudged away the garment with the tip of my toe as though it were contaminated with some deadly disease. "No thanks," I mumbled. "I don't need your fashion coaching. One Addison in my life is enough."

She plopped down on the edge of the bed and grasped my fingers in between hers, a pleading expression on her face. "Just come out for one drink, Vanessa." She smirked. "We can even ask the bartender to make it a strong one."

I shook my head. "I'm all set. I'll feel even worse if I have to battle a hangover tomorrow."

Quinn arched a brow. "Like a crying hangover is any better?"

I thought of the nausea and the intense headache brought on by hours of sobbing and knew that she had a fair point but still chose to snuggle further beneath the covers. "So comfy..." I whispered.

She rolled her eyes just as a knock sounded at the door. She gave me a questioning look, but I just shrugged. "Beats me. I've solidified myself as the town hermit. Do you really think I'm the one to incite any visitors?"

Smiling, she pushed herself off the mattress. "Maybe it's a pizza mix-up again. I've been dying for a slice of pepperoni that's not from the cafeteria."