the divine move

"history is written by victors"

281 AC, King's Landing

"The reports are concerning, your majesty.", the new Hand of the King, Owen Merryweather, added before their council meeting ended. "There are sayings that a new band of outlaws had taken residence in the Kingswood. Soon enough we may need to take action against them."

"My birds says these reports are mere exaggerations, my king.", Varys challenged him. "To make them appear stronger than they are."

"They call themselves a 'brotherhood', is all we know about them your grace, truly.", Qarlton said with a disinterested tone. He was in a sour mood ever since Owen took the promotion he thought that he deserved. He would deny the sky was blue in order to deny Owen.

"I had gathered my reports from the smallfolk that live in the Kingswood, near to the villages that are under the radar of the Brotherhood.", Owen resisted. "A man in our king's council thought that he can rise up agains the king. Why is it such a wonder to imagine that a peasent can also dare that?"

"Because our king had gave the necessary punishment to that man.", Qarlton opened his hands. "How do you think you got that pin?"

"But Tywin Lannister relaxes in his old rock, isn't he?", Owen turned to the king. "Many think he requires a harsher punishment than this for his crimes, your grace. He thought he was equal to you."

"Tywin learnt that he was no more than a servant, a filth in my boots.", Aerys dismissed his efforts. "Maybe you need to do the same, Owen, and instead of daring me to tell what to do, finish your report."

"They have been attacking to the nobles in the area-"

"Only robbing them, nothing more.", Qarlton spoke once again. "There has always been thieves in the entire realm. The king cannot be expected to send armed forces everytime someone loses some gold."

"I fear,", Owen spoke to Aerys directly without minding the others. "this threat may grow bigger and dangerous for us, if we do not stop them now."

"I do understand that Lord Merryweather is new in his job, therefore longs for a glorious achievement but-"

"You will talk with more respect Lord Varys,", Owen warned him. "for that I am the King's Hand now and you work for me, not the other way around."

"We all fork for his majesty the king.", he answered with a humbleness.

"When will Lucerys return, you said?", Aerys sighed and asked to Gerold.

"From what I gathered, he needs to be here tomorrow."

"You should have gone with him.", he remarked. "It was your eldest grand-nephew's wedding. One day, he'll replace his father."

"I've been busy.", with keeping an eye on the queen.

"Do not worry, Ser Gerold,", Varys humoured. "if Ser Baelor took it after Lord Hightower, you will have many chances to attend his other weddings.", but Gerold did not find it amusing and just looked at him without blinking.

"If we return back to our problem-"

"I heard you all and I do not see a problem in here.", Aerys stood up. "Bunch of robbers, nothing more. If lords and ladies cannot even think about getting a knight or two along the way, it is not my fault that thye got attacked."

"But your grace-"

"I said enough, the council is dismissed."

Varys and Qarlton shared a look of victory as they stood up and left. Pycelle seemed like he wanted to say something to Owen but decided not to. There was only Gerold and him left inside of the room while the knight made a move to leave.