ptvi | the war of the usurper

283 AC, King's Landing

"Please return quickly, father.", Rhaenys pouted. Not finding the right words, Rhaegar only nodded with a small smile and pulled her into a hug, his smile died immediately.

"Rhaenys, my beautiful angel.", he pressed a kiss to her hair. "I will be back before you even understand it.", he promised, pretending there wasn't an ache in his heart.

"Who will protect us when you are gone?", she demanded an answer, Rhaegar was kneeling in front of her and when they broke off the hug, this time he truly smiled.

"You will not need any protection because no one would dare to harm you as long as I am alive but,", his indigo eyes found his daughter's best friend. "Balerion will always be there to unleash dread on anyone who dares you upset my little princess.", he tickled her, causing her to giggle. "If you ever feel down, just go to my chambers.", he caressed her cheek. "You love the little toy dragon collection there, my dearest. Play with them and always remember that I will be here soon.", she smiled and nodded, Rhaegar stood up and looked at Atera's cold face, tears just dried, her eyes red and Rhaegar wasn't sure what the reason for her crying this time.

Truths she found out or the brother she had lost? Rhaegar was aware he hardly was a replacement or a constallation prize after such a loss.

"I hope your sword will be sharp but mind sharper.", she said with a distant yet firm tone, averted looking at him. "Always remember that you must not fight, not in person."

"I am going there to lead my army to war.", he said with a tired tone. "What matters-"

"What matters is for you to survive.", her eyes sharply found his. "What matters above everything else is your survival, Rhaegar. Whatever happens, you must stay alive."

"I will.", it was the second promise he gave and knew he would not be able to keep it.

They looked at each other, brother and sister, looking too alike yet they had never been this different before. Neither had anything to say to the other though both had many things they wished to be able to say.

"Brother,", Rhaegar ruffled Viserys' hair. "take care of everyone.", he sent him a smile.

"Rhaegar?", he wondered. "I was told that you were just going to the Riverlands, to help Lewyn and Jonothor to win against the rebels."

"Yes.", he at least found the strength to nod.

"Then why everyone is upset?", he asked with childish confusion. "You will just talk to them, no? You will explain everything and they surely will understand.", Rhaegar shared a look with Elia.

"No matter what, my dear,", Elia pulled Viserys to herself. "your brother is going to the war and it might take a long time.", Viserys didn't nod, bowed his head with a frown, tightly gripping the toy dragon in his hands.

"Elia...", Rhaegar's voice was not louder than a whisper as he looked at his wife, whom he wronged greatly, leaned down to place a loving kiss on his son's head. "If the rose garden would hear the fall is coming, if the flying bird would know he would get shot down, if the eyes would know what pain is, if the sky would feel this heartbreak...", he shook his head, couldn't find the right words. "When I return,", he promised for the third time -he remembered it was the fourth because he uttered similar words to Jaime just that morning. "I will fix everything.", he sent back the tears that burnt his eyes and Elia tilted her head in a pleading way, allowing Rhaegar to at least cup her face as she closed her eyes.

"Be careful, son.", Aerys was the last person, eyes were unreadable, filled with clouds. With shaking hands, he placed both his hands on Rhaegar's shoulders and sent him a look of shocked pride. "You are all grown up now, aren't you?", he muttered, eyes observed him up and down and then found his eyes, almost flinched when he did and for the first time in years, Rhaegar saw his father without the shadow of Duskendale. "You are my most important treasure in this life.", he squeezed his arms. "I cannot live if I ever lose you.", he confessed and pulled him into a hug, Atera turned her head away.

"Your worries are for nothing, father.", Rhaegar hugged him tightly, not remembering when was the last time both did the act without any ulterior motives. "I will win and I will return."

He promised for the fifth time and turned his back, nodded to Barristan and with a deep breath mounted his horse, and started his journey but not before sending one last look to his family's faces, shining under the bright sun, all forcing themselves to smile for his sake, trying to suppress their worries.

They all knew he would never return back.

*******

This phase will be more politically focused, rather than any sort of character development. And I had to divide characters into chapters so it wouldn't feel overwhelming. It means, Atera will not arrive until the fifth chapter, and we will not see Lyanna, Arthur and Oswell until Atera goes there. Rhaegar though, he'll make an appearance. Until then, I want to focus on other characters that had to spend time away from the spotlight (Jon, Brandon, Cersei, Velaryons etc.), but I am more than sure, you'll like it.