the lotus

"we must be what we are or we become our enemies"

271 AC, Winterfell

Ten years ago...

"I don't understand why I must go, father.", the young Eddard said with a pout and sadness in his grey eyes. "None of my siblings does."

"Because all of your siblings have a purpose here.", Richard was not going to allow himself to show any emotions. There was no need to make things harder than they were supposed to. The boy said his goodbyes to his siblings last night and now was going to be shipped off to his new home with only his father and servants being present to, it was barely even dawn. "Your destiny lies outside."

"But why?", he insisted. Amongst all his children, Eddard was the calm one, who never went against an order, never questioned things, just obeyed. This behaviour was sudden and unexpected. "Why cannot stay here with you and with them?"

"One day your brother will become the Lord of Winterfell and the Warden of North. His place is next to me. Lyanna is a girl, I cannot entrust her education to any of my bannermen. It is dire that she grows up valuing the family she has, no one would want her to get different ideas like those Mormont women, Gods forbid, might impose on her and Benjen is a child. Would you wish me to send him away than you?"

"No, father.", he bowed his head.

"Then stop asking questions. We all have to make sacrifices for our family and our house, this is going to be yours.", but when he saw the tears the boy tried to hide, he breathed. "There is nothing to be afraid of, boy. I am not sending you to a war but to a home. A warmer home, to be honest. Vale is not covered in snow at that time of the year."

"Yes, father.", he knew where he was going; the Eyrie, home of House Arryn -the Lords of the Eyrie, Lord Paramount of the Vale, the Warden of the East and an old friend of his father.

Jon Arryn, the head of the house, did not have any sons -or daughters, to look after and since his father had three; he decided to send one of them to his old friend as a gesture, he knew it.

"Do not ever forget it Eddard,", still, Rickard couldn't help but get soften and kneeled down to his son's height. The boy had a great destiny lying ahead of him but given he didn't know about that; he could easily understand the fear. "whenever you feel scared, all you have to do is to look inside.", he pointed out his heart with his finger. "We are all braver than we think if we just look deep enough. Before you know it, you are going to be a man, so I am just trying to prepare you for that."

"Why?"

"Because in no time, you will have to answer that big question the life throws to your way.", he stood up and looked directly into his eyes. "What kind of a man are you going to be?"

*

281 AC, Harrenhal

"Well, well, well,", Aerys said, looking at the nobles, he still didn't give a motion for people to sit down and continue to eat. "what a glittering assembling this is, Lord Whent."

"We are honoured to have you here, your majesty.", he was playing it cool, which was a good thing given Rhaegar was about to lose it -though he was not showing it off. Next to him; there was Cersei with her sly smirk. Behind him there were three kingsguards; Gerold, Barristan and Lewyn, his Hand, Jon, and the rest of the small council and not even one of them thought about alarming Rhaegar. "It wouldn't be a true feast of the century without you here, not a true celebration."

"Of course it would not, I am the king.", he said in a manner that hoped to remind everyone and made the waited hand gesture and moved towards the royal dais. Smiled at his son and hugged him tightly without him understanding what was going on. "And here is my son,", he hit his arm harshly but covered it with a pat. "and my daughter,", Elia bowed her head, both were shocked but while Rhaegar concealed it better, she placed the perfect smile on her lips. "and my grandson.", he declared loudly -not that people didn't notice it but he took away Rhaegar and Elia's chance to announce, sent them a knowing smile and sat down to Rhaegar's spot, snapped his fingers and the first course started to be served while the servants rushed to bring more chairs.