the broken crown

"every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future"

265 AC, The Crag

16 years ago...

"Her fever still hasn't passed.", Jenica took a troubled breath as she caressed her daughter's face. "Where is the Maester?", she asked as she took a piece of cloth and wet it with a tray of cold water. Her brother was watching her with nervousness as well. "Why isn't he still here?"

"Father already summoned him, sister. He will be there soon enough.", but Jenica was not in the mood to listen to him.

She was nervous and the last thing she needed was for Atera to fall ill but of course, her daughter's fragile health could not handle such a stark weather change. The Crag was a lot different than the warm environment of Oldtown, but what choice did she have?

"My beautiful daughter...", she pouted as she pressed the cloth to her daughter's sleeping face, to her cheeks and to her forehead. Even in her sleep, she looked troublesome. "She fell ill out of sadness.", she bit her lips to send back her tears. When she woke up and opened her blue eyes, her face softened and she tried to smile for her sake.

"Mother.", she said with a pout, Gawen was once again amazed by their similarity. She rubbed her eyes with her little hands.

"Yes, my moonlight, I am here.", she caressed her golden hair.

"How long we will continue to stay here?", Jenica's smile disappeared. "I want to go back home.", Jenica took a deep breath and shared a look with her brother.

"No.", he whispered as he gently pulled Jenica to her feet and away from Atera. "You know things will go worse if you return back there now. Let him play with his whores. He will call for you eventually. He always does. Go then, not now."

"And torture my daughter like this?", she frowned. "I cannot take her away and come here or travel the entire realm every single time we have a fight. It is not fair to her, she is too young, her body too fragile. She does not understand what was happening, you see it yourself."

"Your safety, and trust me it upsets me to say this, is far more important than Atera's health.", Gawen told to his twin with worry. "She is a strong girl and will heal, what of you?"

"Gerard will not harm me.", she turned her head away. She didn't know what changed between them but that charming man she was married to turned into a monster but at the end of the day, he always came back to his senses, always. "He will get madder if he finds out I hid Atera's illness from him. You know how much he dots on her."

*

265 AC, Oldtown

16 years ago...

"Father?", Leyton entered his balcony and found Gerard depressed once more, watching the harbour with clouded eyes. "Are you alright?"

"You tell me son.", he sighed. "How do I look?"

"Extremely upset and heartbroken.", he said dryly. He too felt like this every time he had to send Baelor away to Driftmark.

"What mistake I did, Leyton?", he asked without looking at him. "Why can't I find peace in my family, in my wives? Ever since I found out,", he closed his eyes tightly and Leyton bowed his head. "I feel like I am burning alive. Tell me what you are thinking.", he ordered when his son stayed silent too long. "You are my son, you are free to tell me whatever you want to."