the princess and the queen

"i can't exactly describe how i feel but it's not quite right"

281 AC, King's Landing

"Where are you going?", Gerold asked before the boy managed to leave the tower. "Ashford?"

"To the stables, Ser.", he answered dutifully.

"Arthur sent you there?", he was bored at his chambers and descended all the way to the first floor, was spending his morning with the company of Lewyn and Oswell, their other brothers were on duty.

"No, Ser.", he answered but when Gerold narrowed his eyes at him, explained quickly. "A ship from Oldtown approached to the harbour this morning, Ser. A part of it contains some of Lady Atera's personal belongings that she left at there -including her horse. I am going to take care of it."

He grunted with approval. "Good.", but then he seemed suspicious. "I didn't give you such an order."

"I know, Ser.", he nodded and seemed guilty almost. "My brother told me to take care of her, without her noticing."

"Your brother told you to spy on her, you mean.", Oswell corrected him with mischievous smile -he liked japing with people.

"No, not spying.", he was quick to deny it with a reddened face. "I am just trying to make her comfortable here."

"She has her own people to do that. You were spying on my niece.", Gerold stated sternly. "Who gave you this order? Certainly not your brother. Garth?"

He bowed his head. "Lord Hightower.", Gerold exhaled deeply as he shook his head. "He is worried about his sister, Ser.", he tried to explain. "And he is very angry at the moment."

"Why?", he dragged the word.

"He heard of what happened.", he swallowed, he couldn't deal with Gerold's anger now. "The-the questioning, Ser.", he was looking at his feet. "And everything people whisper about her."

"And what they whisper about her?", he made a move to stand up while Lewyn and Oswell shared a look. "About my niece?"

"Ser...", he sent a glare to Oswell to help him and the ginger man sighed.

"They say she is Rhaegar's mistress, you know it.", the best way to get rid of a bandaid was to rip it off quickly after all. "Do not blame the poor boy for it."

Gerold sent him a glare that made him shut up. "And how Leyton knows that?", he demanded an answer since he knew Atera would never say that. But when the boy didn't answer, he sighed. "You told him."

"He is your nephew.", he said as a defence. "And a very scary man. How could I not mention him about this? What if he would find out from someonelse?"

"And he told you to do what?", he gritted his teeth.

"I am told, by my brother, that they barely managed to calm him down and he was going to come to the capital to demand justice for such horrible rumours. Daven says that he was determined in challegin anyone who dares badmouthing his sister with a duel to death."

"Seven hells.", Oswell muttered as Lewyn sent him a warning look.

"Daven wrote that Lady Tyrell interfered and they did manage to calm him down but now a small envoy from the Reach is coming to the court to handle a few matters -including Lord Tyrell, Ser Baelor and Lady Alysanne."

"What does Alysanne has to do with this?", he asked snappishly.

"I don't know, Ser.", he shook his head. "I am told to take care of her belongings today and of course to continue to keep an eye on her as long as she stays here.", he bit his lip. "I believe Lord Tyrell will try to purse her to return back to Oldtown, probably using Lady Tyrell's pregnancy."