the burning embers

"we are our own gods and our own demons"

281 AC, King's Landing

"The meetings with the Braavosi ambassadors are continuing, your grace, for the peace treaty. They are ready to give up many things in return for our friendship.", Crakehall informed him. The king still didn't name a Hand so as the Master of Law, it was his duty to do the meetings -much to Varys' despise.

"Your grace,", Lucerys gave a letter to Aerys and when he frowned in confusion, he began to explain. "it came from Braavos.", Aerys raised his eyebrows as he started to open the letter. "Signed by Perseus Antaryon, the younger brother of the Sealord of Braavos. He already entered the continent, if you allow so, he wishes to come to the capital to be protected under your wings."

"And why is that?", he wondered.

"Not everyone in Braavos is happy with the peace treaty, your grace. There are nobles and alike who are prowar and they want to replace the current Sealord with his uncle, Ferrego Antaryon. Braavos has become a dangerous place for the Sealord Helion and his family. He sent his brother a little time ago to handle the peace talks but now it might turn into something more politically advantageous for us.", Varys explained. "He entered the realm through the Reach and was in the Roseroad for some time now."

"As you ordered your grace, we ordered him to stay at Ashford and the moment you accept, he'll start his journey here. We are expecting him to come here tomorrow.", Qarlton said with a silent tone. "We are also told that he repeatedly demanded a meeting with Lord Hightower but he refused it.", he said with distase, it would make him happier, to frame Leyton as a traitor.

"He has two thousand soldiers with him, your grace.", Arthur spoke with a frown. "Would it be wise to let him enter the capital just like that?"

"What is your advice then, Arthur?"

"It is an opportunity that we must take, for sure.", Pycelle spoke before him. "We might be friends with the Braavosi soon enough but having his brother right here would protect us either way."

"Political hostages scarcely enter their jail willingly, Maester Pycelle.", Arthur commented softly. "And rarely with two thousand soldiers at their tail."

"Perseus is very much loved in Braavos, Arthur.", Lucerys tried to paint the picture. "More so than of his brother and uncle and he is at our side. It has been said that it was he who first suggested the idea of peace with us. It is only normal that Helion wants to protect him."

"If we sign the peace treaty, having his brother with us, we might demand something even more -we would have the advantage.", Crakehall added. "And if we do not and Ferrego takes the position, we will have a valuable hostage at our hands. In both cases, we will be spared from the war. Isn't this what you want, Ser?"

"Then he must leave his soldiers at Ashford, under the care of the Reacher Lords and Lord Tyrell must return to Highgarden at once.", Arthur turned to the king. "Let him come here only with his household, your grace. That way, we can see his true intentions."

Aerys nodded to him, it made sense. "Tell me when he arrives,", Rhaegar spoke for the first time on this matter, he still was sending daggers to Aerys and they just had a small quarrel about Robert Baratheon's late arrival -they expected it would take a couple of more days. "I'll welcome him personally since we do not have a Hand."

"I'll name one when I decide.", Aerys said, trying to calm himself down, he had lost the solution, he had to wait now.

"We must place Targaryen soldiers all around the Kingsroad -tell him to use that and not the Roseroad while entering the capital.", Rhaegar turned to Crakehall and ordered. "Every soldier along the way must have full equipment. We might sue for peace but Perseus Antaryon must see the Westerosi army is, at all times, ready for war if it comes to that."