the heartbreak weather

"it's better to face the madness with a plan than to sit still and let it take you in pieces"

281 AC, Dragonstone

"So,", Rhaegar sat on the table, his inner circle was there fully; Elia, Arthur, Oswell, Ashara, Richard and Myles. Atera was on her way here. "in order to set a strategy at Harrenhal, first we must see which houses support us and which do not. I had finished Stormlands with Jon,", his face was emotionless but Elia saw the way sadness passed through his eyes. He had refused to speak with Jon before he left the capital. "and Elia finished Riverlands with Oswell. Today, we will finish the other kingdoms."

"All in one day?", Ashara questioned.

"We need to convince Doran that we know what we are doing if we hope to have his full support.", Elia said with a troubled tone -and a bit shame.

The confusion in the eyes of others -except Arthur and Rhaegar, of course, was clear. They all probably thought Doran would support his sister and Dorne would follow him but things were not always black and white. Dorne could very well remain impartial -despite the objections of Elia and Oberyn. At war, they would follow Elia -even than, she knew better than hope for full support. But at peace? Doran was their prince, she made it so and Doran would not make his judgements based on his emotions. They needed to give him something, anything, to convince him. The situation is Riverlands and Stormlands were not alright and Elia barely dared to say Rhaegar there was a chance they did not get any support from the Reach at all.

Their journey very well could end before it started.

"We'll start from the Vale.", Rhaegar cleared his throat. "You all are free to state your opinions, and since there are no one from the Vale here, I am expecting especially Richard, Myles and Oswell to speak. They might know more than us."

"Well for starters, your grace,", Richard leaned his back in a comfortable way. "no one likes Jon Arryn, not truly. But he has a lot more stronger hold than Robert, for sure. He has been ruling the Vale far too long for it to be otherwise. People are loyal to him out of obligationg, simply because he is their lord -the Lords of the Vale are too prideful and loyal for their own good. But this does not mean they will do as he bids in time of war."

"We are not in a time of war and we never will be in a time of war.", Rhaegar said patiently and Richard nodded.

"As you say, then. During a Great Council as you hope; I would say do not expect much support then."

Oswell sent him a look. "The only ones that have more loose ties with Jon Arryn are the Sistermen Houses and as you know, they are not allow to vote due to their extreme closesness with the Moon Tribes."

"The thing is, if you want to succeed in the Vale, despite Arryn's direct orders; than you'll need the Royces. They are second in command and Royce and Arryn hate one another, respect one another but also hate one another. I you have Royce, if he declares public support; you may even manage to break the region into half.", Richard added.

"Lord Arryn is also the reason why Lord Baratheon will not support you, your grace.", Myles added with a small tone. "He affects them. The northern side of the kingdom listens to him -from Baratheons to the Starks. He is like the king of there.", his voice got smaller and smaller. "You need him as your ally."

"He is a man that is one step away from declaring for his own kingship, Mooton, he must be eliminated not befriended.", Richard scoffed.

And Rhaegar couldn't help but think of Jon's theory that has been going on for years now. He was suspecting a silent rebellion rising in the northern side, plotted by Jon Arryn himself -Rickard Stark was complicit, Hoster Tully was complicit, late Steffon Baratheon was complicit but Robert was a manipulated fool and they were not accepting Tywin to the order. He shook his head to clear his mind. Jon was always paranoid, there was no reason to suspect of high treason when he had no proof but the whispers of winds.