the sworn sword

"there will be a time come when we must choose between what is easy and what is right"

281 AC, King's Landing

He was walking with his hands tied behind his back and a whistle in his mouth. He didn't even send a glance to the knight he passed through when he left his chambers, just murmured him to stay and wait there, and then descended from the steps he memoriez, turned from the corners he knew too well, passed through the halls without anyone noticing and when he finally reached to his destination he smiled widely.

"Arthur!", his sudden cheefullnes did startle his best friend but he didn't comment on it and Arthur patted his arm. "Is she sleeping?"

"The hour is quite late, of course she is sleeping.", he narrowed his eyes in suspicion, it was the dusk, the hour of the wolf, the darkest moment of the night. "Why are you this happy?"

"I don't know.", he pursed his lips. "I just am for some reason.", they were used to his sudden melancholy without a reason but never his happiness.

He made a move to enter the room but Arthur placed a hand in his chest, tried to see something in his eyes. "She is sleeping."

"She is my wife.", he answered back. "Perhaps I want to sleep with her?"

"Perhaps.", he dragged the word and then sighed, moved to the side and allowed him to answer.

"Good night, my friend.", he said again but this time there was the hint of sadness Arthur was searching for.

When he entered the room, he found it almost entirely dark only a few candles lighting it. And Elia was sleeping rather comfortably on the bed. A part of him felt bad to wake her up because she did need her night sleep but he needed her more, or else he probably threw himself to the Blackwater Rush for what he has done.

"Elia?", he whispered as he sat to the bed, his fingers trailing her spine. "My love?", he whispered to her ear and she sighed in her sleep. "El?"

A visible shiver passed through her the moment she wake up and turned to meet with her husband's eyes. "Rhaegar?", her voice was thich with sleep and eyes half open, Rhaegar found her adorable. When she made a move to lift herself, Rhaegar stopped her. "Something happened?", she asked in confusion.

Before his mind fully registered the action, Rhaegar leaned down and kissed her. Softly at first, dragging his hand down her collarbone, down the valley of her breasts to rest on her stomach. As the kiss deepened, evolving from something safe and chaste to a wildfire in a matter of seconds, he dragged his hands lower as he leaned further on her.

"I want you.", he whispered in the short time span where his lips travelled to her neck, leaving her mouth. "I need you.", he admitted.

"Rhaegar...", she said softly and cupped his face to stop his actions. "Something has happened?"

"The world is too loud.", he leaned forward, their foreheads touched. "I want it to go quiet.", before she managed to answer he pressed his lips onto her once more. "Please.", he whispered to her lips and she sighed and nodded in agreement and seconds later he was on top of her, helping her to get rid of her nightgown.

*

She woke up in the morning with light on her face. Well, her body woke up but her mind not so much.

She could feel the softness of the bed at her back. The pillow under her head was too soft that she could feel her head literally was sinking in. The silky fabric underneath her body was touching the bare flesh of her arms, it was giving her chills. And the fury blanket that was covering half of her body was keeping her warm against the coldness of the early morning.