Chapter 7

And.... I'm back again. I can't help but chuckle at myself as I survey the familiar scene. The streets of Kutkda are as they were when I left them mere days ago; quiet, serene, and smelling of hope. I quite like the werewolf capital at this time of year. In summer the streets are bustling and busy as people ascend into the mountain top town to escape from the unbearable heat of the valley, but in winter the climate is bitterly cold, and most wolves choose to stay huddled in their pack houses, spending time with their family.

I avoid the club from last time. I know that the business of Alphas can sometimes keep them in town for a couple of months at a time. And I definitely have no desire to run into Damien again... a half mated Alpha that I ran out on after he'd bitten me? I chuckle. No thank you!

I ignore the stares of the few people that I pass. Most are easily able to scent that I have Alpha blood and can't help but turn their heads to look as I pass. Others are slightly more focused on the short dress that I am wearing, not even noticing my scent as my bare legs makes them turn their heads to watch.

It's slightly too early to go into a bar, so I meander down the back streets instead, appreciating the chilled air and clear night sky. The night of my escape from my work drinks still weighs heavily on my mind, the memories that it brought to the surface playing havoc with emotions. Although what worries me more is how easily a single, insignificant human male, brought my strong facade crumbling to the ground. I take a deep breath of the night air, and turn down a small alley that leads to one of Ktukda's famous parks. At this time of year the trees are mostly barren, but instead of leaves, thousands of fairylights fill their branches. They weave through the dark, their glow warm and comforting as they twinkle amongst the park like the stars of the heavens. As I walk further into the park, my shoes crunching on a layer of leaves, my fingers reach out of their own accord, ghosting over the rough bark of the tree trunks as if the trees themselves could ground me. In this small city, the sound of engines is rare, and in the park the gurgle of a river is the only sound to be heard. It is only a small stream, one of the many estuaries that splits from the main river that passes through Ktukda, yet the sound it makes is lively and joyful.

As I pass over the bridge in the centre of the park, I toss a coin into the water, my eyes screwing up tightly as I make my wish. It's only when I'm out of the park that I laugh at my own foolishness, and how silly it seems to be wishing on a coin. Yet I can't deny that my wish has brought me the smallest glimmer of hope.

I follow the river as it passes through the town, enjoying the comforting gurgle of the water. As I walk, I pass by a couple of the small swimming spots that are especially popular in summer where the river has been artificially widened to create accessible pools. I pass two such pools before I finally reach my destination, a small, quiet bar just at the edge of town. This area is a more artsy area of the town, and is mainly home to young wolves who have rejected traditional pack culture to search instead for a life of freedom and independence. The bar itself is quite colourful and loud, with a more hipster vibe compared with the other clubs in town. It's also a bit more chilled and down to earth, meaning it iss usually frequented by Betas and Gammas as opposed to testosterone fueled Alphas. And my plan for the night is definitely to avoid Alphas.

As I enter, the band in the corner is playing a soulful kind of jazz. Despite the neon exterior lights, inside the lights are dimmed yet not so much as to make the place seem creepy. The place is small, only a few seated tables and mostly standing bar tables. It's small enough that the bartender sees me enter, smiling at me slightly as I make my way over to him.

"Mojito please." I smile slightly, remembering the last time I had a Mojito. With Chris. Just three nights ago and yet it feels like an eternity. For the past three nights I have thrown myself into my work, attempting to forget all the emotions that difficult night brought up and to avoid falling back into my unhealthy coping mechanisms. Yet here I am again.