Chapter 43

Rodrigo is back. I know it from the second I turn on the small street that leads to my house, his scent noticeable even from this distance. I stop in my tracks, sniffing the air lightly, unsure initially whether he is still here or if it's an old smell. But the scent is definitely fresh, that unmistakable musty aftershave still wafting through the air. Luckily, I'm still hidden from the house, and I haven't even made it onto the driveway yet. The wind is also blowing towards me, pushing their scents in my direction and hopefully keeping my own hidden from their sensitive noses. I can only hope my theory is right as I run.

I run as fast as I can. The wind whipping through my sex ruffled hair. I make it to the end of the road before I hear a shout and I know they're on to me. Whether someone saw me, or scented me, I'm not sure. But I push my legs harder, trying to pick up the pace. Suddenly it hits me how little I've been training, how 'human' I have become. I manage to whip my phone out as I do, frantically calling anyone who will pick up. I know I'm going to need backup, I'm not too proud to admit it.

Isaac picks up on the second ring.

"Everything ok, doll?" I gasp, my lungs searing as I try to get the words out.

"No," another gasp, "being chased." I can barely get a whole sentence out.

"Where and who?" Isaac's tone is immediately business like, and I know that I did the right thing in calling him. He'll sort it, take control like he always does.

"My ex. Running to Terre Haute. More people." I weakly attempt to explain my rationale. I'm out of the village now, the edges of the bigger town looming in the distance. I haven't dared to look back yet, fear clouding my thoughts. I may be an Alpha, and I can definitely take a couple of them. But, as I said, I haven't trained in a while, knowing Rodrigo, I'm certain there's at least a few of them.

"Coming doll." The phone abruptly cuts off, and I speed dial my next contact as I run as if my life depends on it. My breath is coming in short gasps now, my lungs searing with the effort. My legs burn beneath me, my quad muscles screaming at me to stop, to pause, to slow down. But I refuse to listen to them, pushing the pain into the back of my mind.

I hear the boots behind me when I enter the perimeter of the town. I still don't dare to look behind me, but it sounds like they're quickly gaining. I jump between the streets, knowing I'll be faster at turning than them with my small stature, aiming for the town square. It's not a market day but I'm praying more people will be around. That's where the bar is, the one I met Isaac in a little more than a week ago.

In the distance, the roar of a motorbike echoes and my heart beats with a little hope. Maybe that's him, maybe he'll get here in time. Goddess knows I can't keep running forever.

In the town square, I skid to a halt, finally chancing a look behind me. Rodrigo is flanked by two of his cronies, two that I know well from my old life. They're both awful, terrifying wolves, the two who willingly volunteer to work in the prisons. From the smile on their faces as they watch me, alone and panting in the middle of the square, they're looking forward to whatever Rodrigo has in store for me too.

They almost saunter towards me, their steps slow and lazy. They know I can't keep running, that I have nowhere to go.

"You're a bit out of shape, Reyna." Rodrigo tuts at me, taunting me from afar. The sad thing is, he's right. I was never the fittest, never the fastest or the best. But I've let myself go, not paying attention to my fitness as I should have been. I'm not even able to respond to his teasing, my breath still coming in short gasps.

"I still haven't received your RSVP by the way." His eyes flicker with amusement.

"Didn't feel like I had much of a choice." I manage to spit out between gasps.