Chapter 40

Saul arrives at seven on the dot, yet even though I'd told him to be there at that time, I still don't quite feel ready. And that's even considering the fact that I chose my outfit without having to try on a dozen different options, not needing to check and recheck how I looked in the mirror. A new feeling for me to be honest, although it definitely helps that I'm not trying to sleep with Saul.

No, the thing that is making me feel antsy is that I've never let anyone into my home before. At the pack I always had people over, friends from school, aunts, uncles, cousins. Even potential suitors. But it was always our home. With my family. Never my home where I might worry that it wasn't enough, that I might be judged for how I had chosen to live.

I'm understandably hesitant as I open the door, but the big smile on Saul's face, and the two large bottles of wine in his hands, instantly make me feel better. As a way of greeting, he brandishes the two bottles up high in the air.

"Ta-da!" I laugh, shaking my head at his childishness as I usher him in. He always has a way of making me laugh, of making me feel better despite everything going on. I show him to one of the bar stools as I quickly put the finishing touches on the food. It needs about another half an hour in the oven so I get out the snacks I have prepared; some spring rolls and panara alongside a homemade dip.

"I have some news for you, Rey." He chatters away as he pours the wine, completely filling the already very large glasses that I gave him.

"I have some news for you too!" I grin at him as I take a sip from my glass, hoping to disguise my ongoing anxiety about sharing my current situation. I'm not even sure what kind of situation it is. A dating situation? A sexual situation? A weird friend situation?

"Oooh ok, spill girl." I shake my head, still not fully comfortable enough to gossip. I am definitely going to need some more alcohol before that happens.

"Nope, you first!" I nudge him playfully as I get up from the bar stool to check on the food in the oven.

"Well, remember when you saw me in Ktukda last night and I was rushing off somewhere? Well my Alpha, Sam, has potentially managed to convince some of the elders of the werewolf community to start to consider the gay community as a valid identity as a werewolf." He shakes his head, awe visible on his face. "Honestly what that girl can't do is a mystery..."

"Wait, Sam is a girl? Your Alpha is a girl... I didn't... didn't think that was possible..." I trail off, falling silent as I realise what the possibilities of this might suggest. I'd always assumed that to maintain my Alpha power and identity, I would be forced to mate with a male Alpha. But if I can become an Alpha in my own right? Although would it mean giving up...

"Is she mated?" I abruptly interrupt Saul who was attempting to explain his whole pack situation. Not that it didn't sound interested, but I'm now so intrigued by this possibility. I just wouldn't be able to do it if it meant being alone forever. I may enjoy sex and sleeping around, but I know that I would never want to be alone. Life is something that should be shared.

"Yes, my Alpha is mated. She has two mates actually."

"Two?" Once again I interrupt Saul's explanation. I just can't quite get my head around this apparently incredible female.

"Yes, one is male and one is gender neutral. We probably have the entirety of the LGBTQIA acronym within our pack..." He chuckles at his little joke, the expression on his face suggesting maybe he wants me to ask more. But I'm too astounded at what he has had.

"What is 'gender neutral'?" I've heard the term before, but never really thought to discover what it truly meant.

"It means someone who feels neither feminine and masculine. Some identify as something in between, some identify as a mixture, some identify as neither. Tay I think identifies as a mixture. Whereas I identify as a trans man." He says the last statement so matter of fact it's as if he hardly wants me to notice it. But when I glance up at his face in shock, his expression suggests otherwise. He must have been keeping this secret for so long, wanting to share but afraid to do so. Suddenly something clicks into place in my head