Chapter 31

My legs are still very unsteady as I slowly walk back into the office. I try my hardest not to look sheepish as I settle back into my office chair, aware that I've just taken a two hour lunch break, then practically flinch as the roar of Isaac's Harley echoes through the small office. Instantly, everyone's eyes turn to stare out of the window, but luckily he doesn't pass in front of the office. Not that that stops me from picturing him on the bike, thick thighs wrapped tight around the sleek machine as stray curls escape from beneath his helmet.

I didn't miss Kenneth's raised eyebrows of surprise as I walked to desk, nor Maria's undisguised eye roll, but I managed to avoid looking at Alice, not able to bring myself to see her reaction. It doesn't matter that they don't actually know if the roar of the motorbike was linked to my return, but it wouldn't be a huge leap. Especially as they probably heard the roar of us arriving just before I walked into the room.

Sure enough, as the roar softly dissipates, everyone's eyes swivel back around to me. Heaving the heavy sigh of responsibility, Kenneth eases himself to his feet, making his way over to my desk as he shakes his head in a disappointed fatherly way. I assume he's going to admonish me for my prolonged lunch break, and I wrack my brains thinking of an excuse.

"Hi Reyna." His voice is quite soft as he bends down towards me, and I lean in, hoping we'll be able to keep the conversation as discrete as possible.

"Just wanted to check in and see how things are going." He pauses as if rethinking his phrasing. "You know, with the project. With work." His awkwardness is almost palpable, desperate to make it clear that he's not here simply to chat, his professional voice overly exaggerated considering we've been becoming friends over the past few months.

"It's good Kenneth. Going really well. I've made most of the suggested improvements that we've received from the users, and we're almost ready for an app upgrade to restart the data collection." Kenneth nods his approval. I'm not sure if he's looking for more specific information, or if his question is simply a lead up to the point he's trying to make.

"Hmmm hmmm I see. And when do you think we'd be ready for this upgrade?" His brows furrow a little, his mouth twisting sideways as if he too is trying to think of an answer to his question.

"Erm... I'm not sure. Maybe in a week or so?" He nods again, his gaze now slightly admonishing.

"I see I see. And Reyna? Do you think that maybe this could be sooner if you were maybe at work a little more often?" He looks at me sideways, and even though there isn't any anger in his voice, I can sense the reprimanding disappointment that softly coats his tone. His expectation that I would give my all to his company, just as he has, now crumpled by my lunchtime adventures.

I blush despite myself, aware that even if I worked more I wouldn't be able to speed up the programming of the app, yet still guilty for how little I have been involved in work recently. It's not like I wouldn't be able to help with other tasks within the office if I'd been here. Quickly, I gather myself, sitting up slightly straighter in my chair.

"Of course Kenneth. I'm sorry. It won't happen again." It's not the first time I've been told off, and it certainly won't be the last. But I had never intended to disappoint Kenneth or the team, and I'm desperate to make sure they know that. He nods once, lips pulling into a grateful smile.

"Thank you Reyna. You're as much a part of this team as anyone, and we all need each other." With a groan he stands straight again, massaging his sore knee as he does. He shoots me once last fatherly smile before heading back to his desk, his slow ambling gait affected by the limp that bothers him throughout winter. I attempt to shake off the guilt that his disappointment has instilled in me, nodding my head as if it will make the feelings dissipate. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Sighing, I try a different tactic, concentrating instead on my determination to change his opinion of me, my determination to prove my standard of work. And with that thought in mind, I turn back to my monitor with renewed vigour.