Chapter 22

"Come on Reyna! Don't tell me you have another date!! I'll even make your favourite; hot chocolate with Baileys and whipped cream..." Alice's big eyes bore into my soul as once again she attempts to persuade me for a pizza and board game night. It's been a week since her first invite, and this is now the fifth time she's brought it up. And I'm slowly running out of times where it would sound reasonable to say I'm going out drinking... again. The rest of the office is already empty, the two of us the last ones to leave work for the day. Alice doesn't usually leave late, most of the time she's out of the door exactly on the hour, but for the past few weeks, she's been staying late. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but the days she seems to hang around seem to coincide exactly with the days where I hang around...

"We can have a nice dinner together, and make our own pizzas. Oh, and if you don't like board games then no pressure! We could also do a film, or even go for a walk, or..." She rattles on, enthusiastically listing endless options for our night together. Her tone is light and positive, but she speaks with such speed it's almost as if she's stressed about the subject.

I look up from my computer, giving her my full attention. Her hands move around excitedly, emphasising her words. Her doe eyes glitter in the office lights as she chatters away, but despite her usual friendliness with me, she avoids making direct contact with mine, looking anywhere except at my face. The light smattering of freckles that usually spreads across her face is now overwhelmed by a faint blush, and as I continue watching, I can't help but notice the occasional bite at her lip as if she feels nervous about something.

I prepare myself to decline again, still feeling strangely unsure about this one-on-one evening that Alice is suggesting. But as I continue watching, I can't help but notice the occasional bite at her lip as she pauses in her speech, the nervousness that she is attempting to hide, and I realise that the light smattering of freckles that usually spreads across her face is now overwhelmed by a faint blush.

Something is definitely bothering her. Aida is right, and I suddenly wonder if I am being incredibly rude by repeatedly denying her invitations. I'm still not completely familiar with human customs, but maybe I have offended her in some way which makes her nervous or unsure about our relationship. I sniff the air lightly, honing in my werewolf senses, detecting the faint tang of fear and stress in the air and in my mind I play out her reaction, the disappointment that will flash across her perfect features as I decline, and looking into those gorgeous hazel eyes I realise that I can't bring myself to do it.

"Sure. How does Friday sound?" I swallow down my nervousness, willing to sacrifice my comfort for one night in order to appease my friend's feelings. The reaction is instantaneous, and so incredibly gratifying, Alice's face lights up as she stands a little taller, a wide smile spreading across her features.

"Friday is perfect! Oh I'm so excited! We can make our own pizzas, and make some nice drinks, and I can buy a starter for us to share as well. Do you like Camembert? Or maybe that's too filling... What about falafel, do you like falafel? Or maybe crisps and dips... What do you fancy?" In her excitement she blabbers away, the nervous lip biting now disappeared, although if anything the blush seems to have darkened. And as she continues listing fancy food and drink options, I'm suddenly wondering whether this was intended as the relaxed girly evening that she had initially explained to me.

***

I sigh as I turn walk up Alice's driveway, my stomach twisting itself into knots as butterflies shoot through my chest. I'm not scared, but there's a strange sort of excitement mixed with nerves that seems to worsen with every step I take. I'm not sure why. I'm never this anxious, not even before going into a complete stranger's apartment to have sex. So I have no idea why I'm reacting this way.