Chapter 44

Penultimate chapter guys!!! Can't quite believe I've made this far... and I'm so so grateful that you did xxxx Thank you for sticking with me throughout, and I can only hope that you've enjoyed every second. 

"He may be gone, but not for long." Isaac comments wisely, sipping from a cup that looks like a doll's tea set in his large hands. Adina nods, her expression still filled with anger. I can see it in the way her forehead creases, the side of her mouth quirked up in disapproval. I can't believe how much I've come to know her in these past weeks. The fact that I can recognise her facial expressions so well feels like a true testament to our relationship, and an indication for me that if the situation had been different, we truly would have been perfect for each other.

"He's right. That guy is bad news, Reyna." She reaches out to where my hand lies on the table, giving it a brief comforting squeeze. Saul raises his eyebrows in response, but stays silent.

The three of them are all huddled around my kitchen island, sipping the tea I've just made to try to calm my nerves. After Rodrigo basically ran away with his tail between his legs, they all insisted on accompanying me back to my house. Unfortunately, Isaac didn't have space for all of us on his bike, so it was a slow bus ride instead, but I'm grateful for the company, and the support.

I can't help but feel a little tense though. Isaac and Adina don't really know the truth about me - at least not wholly - they barely know about Rodrigo, and even though I didn't feel like one, I'm sure they had no clue I was a rogue. So all in all, the situation seems a little bit delicate to say the least. I'm not quite sure outing myself as a Rogue to a powerful Alpha is the best move realistically.

"He sure is..." I mumble under my breath, remembering the anger in Rodrigo's eyes. Even though neither Adina nor Isaac know who he is, and don't know about the history that exists between the two of us, they were also able to see the threat that man represents. Which tells me just how dangerous he could be.

"The.. Divergent Shadows?" Isaac glances at Saul quizzically, waiting for an answer. I'd also not heard of them before. Maybe a new pack? Or worse, maybe a pack that Saul invented to get me out of a bad situation.

"Oh that. It was my idea. It's not really stuck yet. We have another name that people use more. The Rogue Pack? Maybe you've heard of them. We just thought the name was a bit too in your face. Thought that maybe we should change it."

Beside him, Isaac laughs.

"Just a little bit too 'in your face' I'd say. Although I guess that was always Sam's point." Saul simply shrugs. He doesn't seem at all surprised that Isaac knows Sam.

"Listen Reyna, I don't know all the facts." Isaac pauses, carefully considering his next words. "But I get the impression that you have a decision to make. My advice is just to think about everything before you make that choice. I assume you are a Rogue, and as I don't know your past," he nods at Adina, "as neither of us really know, we can't judge your situation." I feel a little bit of hope trickle into my heart. I'd always been raised to believe that rogues should be shunned and punished, but maybe that too had been a lie. And maybe Isaac is one of those wolves who can be fair, kind, and considerate of the situations people might be forced into.

"But remember that as a wolf, you shouldn't be alone, it's against our nature. Being a rogue, it puts you at risk, makes you a target for so many others who want your power, your voice, or whatever else you have that they can use. But you're also an Alpha. We're the same, you and I. And I know better than most that you can't just insert yourself into another pack. Not as an Alpha." He shakes his head, obviously reliving some memory. Adina squeezes his hand, bringing him back to us.

"The Rogue Pack is a good choice. Sam will let you keep your title whilst providing you with security. But remember that as an Alpha, even within a pack you may never quite feel like yourself unless you're leading it." His voice holds a warning in it, a little bit of Alpha authority that makes Aida perk up inside my head. I can tell that he's being deadly serious, and somewhere within me I trust him instinctively, knowing that even if I ignore all else, I should heed his advice.