Chapter 25

Saul's eyes are cautious as I turn back to face him, his expression one of hesitation. His head cocked to the side as if appraising me, his glance judgmental, as if actually seeing me for the first time and debating whether I am a threat to him. I open my mouth, but realise I have no words, no explanation to give if I don't know what's going through his head. So instead I watch as he slowly moves away from his own chair and walks around to my side, pulling my chair back for me so I can sit. To his credit he doesn't flinch as I move past him and sit.

Saul has barely had a chance to get back to his own seat when the manager, a rather short portly werewolf, bursts through the door, accompanied once again by Barbie. He's all professional, immediately business-like as he asks if there's anything the matter. Unfortunately for him, he directs his question at Saul, assuming the male is in charge. Aida growls in my head but I quieten her, my mind turning calculating and cold.

"Actually yes there is." The manager barely hides his surprise at the fact that I've spoken before the male in the room. But he quickly schools his expression, rising up to his full height as he looks down at me. He doesn't even look threatening enough for me to consider standing.

"Your waitress'" I jerk my chin in her general direction. To her credit, a slight blush spreads on her cheeks. "Should watch her behaviour. You wouldn't want her lack of professionalism to stain the reputation of this lovely establishment." I spit out the 'lovely', putting all my venom into the word.

No element of surprise flits across the manager's face as I recount what happened, and combined with his immediate apology, I get the distinct impression that this may not be the first time Barbie has pulled such a stunt. Based on Saul's expression though, I also infer that this is not a new experience for him either.

"Thank you for your apology. I'm just concerned that if this stunt were to happen again, your waitress may not be quite so... lucky." My lips pull back in a slight snarl as I allow my power to unfurl into the room, showing them exactly how lucky Barbie would be. Despite the thinly veiled threat, my words are true. If Saul had been an Alpha, or even someone with an angry streak, she would have lived to regret her lack of respect for a client.

"Of course. Of course. I do apologise. And please accept, as a token of my apology, a bottle of win on the house. May the goddess bring down joy and happiness on you. Both of you." I feel the urge to frown. It's a common phrase used in werewolf communities to convey well wishes and respect, yet in this conversation it seems so out of place. Even Aida, who isn't great at reading human actions, detects that something definitely sounds off in the manager's voice. Especially that emphasis on the 'both'... My thoughts are only confirmed when Saul physically tenses on the other side of the table. And I may have imagined it, but I'm convinced a small snicker leaves Barbie's mouth. I frown at her, letting a tiny bit more of my Alpha dominance seep out. I feel smug as her knees buckle slightly in response. But at a concerned look from Saul I reel it back in. He doesn't need to know quite how powerful I am just yet. Especially as he seems so concerned by my very small show of dominance.

The manager must sense the threat in the room as well because his tone returns to his original customer service tone as he backs away from the table, promising to send Barbie back with our drinks as soon as possible.

We watch as they depart, Saul remaining frozen and tense even after they've closed the door behind them. He hasn't moved since the manager's comment, and when I finally glance at him I realise that he's been staring at me this entire time, eyes filled with intrigue. Yet it's not his curiosity that I find worrying, it's the hint of fear that flashes across his face, and the way he's sitting in his seat, right on the edge, as if to get as far from me as he can.

"You ok?"

"Yep." Definitely a lie, that is not the 'yep' of someone is fine. Also he barely moves as he says it, his body still tilted away from me. I desperately want to reach out, to hold his hand and reassure him, but I stop myself, knowing any contact right now is definitely unwanted. Instead I simply rest my hands on the table, right where he can see them, showing him that I'm not a threat.