Chapter 17

I awake the next morning to find Cade's large arms draped over me. We'd fallen asleep separately, on our own sides of the bed, but it seems that at some point during the night, he rolled towards me, pulling me into his arms as he curled around me. His loud snores fill the room.

We should get going. Aida is right, but my limbs feel so heavy, my body so sated after last night that I'm not sure I can bring myself to move. Just five more minutes...

By the time my eyes open again, Cade, the soon-to-be-Alpha, is already awake. His arms are no longer wrapped around me, and I roll over, cursing myself as I find him already sitting up, propped up on his pillows as he scrolls on his phone. I school my features into a neutral expression. I can't believe I fell asleep, how the hell am I supposed to sneak out now? This is what comes of getting too comfortable... Also now I'll be forced to make conversation, convince him that we shouldn't see each other again... because despite his incredible abilities in bed - I feel myself getting wet from the mere flashbacks of the night before - I'm definitely not looking for anything long-term. Something that I've come to realise men have difficulties understanding when the sex is good.

Yeah, only when the sex is good though.

Picking up on my movements despite the distraction of his phone screen, he realises I'm awake and before I can fake sleep again, he drops his phone onto the bedside table and pulls me into his arms.

"Good morning." His grin doesn't quite meet his eyes as if he too isn't sure what's meant to happen next.

"Morning," I smile sweetly up at him.

"Last night... that was something else you know. I've never.." I smile in agreement, then move to roll away.

"I really hope you're not planning on running out on me?" I groan inwardly at the slight nervousness lacing in his voice, reminding me that despite his aura of power he is barely older than me. His hands slide up my arms, holding me in place, the feel of his skin on mine taking me back to last night and giving me some very dirty ideas.

Trick him into letting us leave through sex? Aida is on the same brainwave as me, and I laugh internally at my partner in crime.

"Not at all!" My voice is sweet and suggestive as I trail my hand up and down Cade's chest, admiring how his muscles tense in response to my touch. He's probably feeling some version of the electric mate tingles due to his status, even though he's not consciously aware of the connection. I look at him from under my lashes, my long tresses half obscuring my face.

"You're something else you know." His hand reaches out to brush the hair from my face, but it's only when I see his eyes that I suddenly realise how much shit I've got myself in. His eyes sparkle as he gazes at me, taking in my thick hair, my full lips... His eyes sweep over each feature individually, his hand lingering in my hair longer than is necessary. I know that look. It's the look of a man who is falling but doesn't understand how he's feeling. The worst of emotions to have to deal with. I really should have snuck out when he was asleep...

I close my eyes and shy away, faked embarrassment spreading across my features. I glimpse up at him through my eyelashes and, seeing him still staring at me, duck down, concealing my face in his chest as I pretend to be emotionally affected by his comment, a soft giggle escaping me to add to the effect. His lips brush against the top of my head and I know he's bought the act.

"Why don't I go get us some breakfast princess?" I nod immediately, then check myself, wondering if I've seemed too keen on the idea of him leaving. But he only chuckles in response.

"Hungry are we? Well, I've got something you can eat right here..." His eyes glance down and I feel myself grow wet at the direction of my so-very-dirty thoughts. He unfortunately does not seem to comprehend the reason for my blushing cheeks.