Chapter 29

It's about eight in the morning before I finally urge my limbs into life and roll out of bed. I'm due to be at work in thirty minutes, which barely gives me time to shower, eat, get dressed, and walk the ten minutes to the office. I run through the monotonous routine without thinking, and it's only as I'm reaching out to the door of the building that I realise that I might see Alice. That the second I walk into the office I might see her cute little face peering me from over her computer, her big doe eyes reminding me how much I want to kiss her.

Suddenly, it's like I'm back at the pack when Rodrigo had first visited. Nervous, sweaty, trembling slightly. I gulp down the ball in my throat and force my arm out again, gripping the handle with a sticky palm as I pull the door open, and breathe an instant sigh of relief. No doe eyes or vintage dresses in sight. Or at least not yet. Which gives me time to come in and get settled before she arrives for the day.

I gulp as the door swings open, my entire body on high alert as I gingerly peer around the the corner of my desk. The desk separator is conveniently placed to block the door, and I've angled my chair so that my entire silhouette is hidden from view by anyone walking into the building. I know it's ridiculous but I want to see Alice before she sees me in a pathetic attempt at preparing myself for our inevitably awkward interaction.

But as I pear around the separator, it's just Maria's that arrived. She catches sight of me and grins a big conspiratorial smile. I sigh and shuffle back into my hidden spot. Alice must have filled her in.

So Alice must have felt the same as we did... Fuck, I don't even know if Aida is right. I'd been so focused on how I felt about the whole situation, that I hadn't even paused to think about how Alice was feeling. For all I know, the entire tension, near-kiss scenario was all in my head and she hasn't thought twice about it. I peer back around my desk at Maria who is settling into her desk chair. There's still no sign of Alice so now is my chance.

"Hey Mariiiaaaa." Luckily she's so excited to see me that I don't think she notices the barely disguised nosiness in my voice.

"Hey guapa!" She giggles conspiratorially, once again hinting that she knows something about me and my evening with Alice.

"A little birdie told me that you and Alice had a bit of an evening get together?" She winks at me, obviously expecting further gossip from my end. Although I'm unsure if this is an attempt to get more information to be able to pass on to Alice... I decide that as I'm unsure how much of this Alice is going to hear, that I need to play it cool.

"That little birdie may have been right." I wink back, adding a cheeky grin for extra effect. "What else did you hear?"

Maria's eyes widen as she catches on to my intentions.

"I heard that one of you had a particularly lovely time. And wishes that her phone had not disturbed the... erm... atmosphere." She pauses for dramatic effect.

"I think that the certain someone would be very keen to arrange another evening together." I barely contain my smile at Maria's revelation. Alice enjoyed the night! And Maria's hint would suggest that she too had felt the tension on the porch, had felt the need to lean in, and had wished that her phone had not ruined the moment. Although I'll be honest, I'm hugely grateful for that interruption. Considering how much I've struggled with just the thought of wanting to kiss a girl, I'm not sure I would have been able to cope with the knowledge that I'd actually kissed a girl. That I'd gone against what is supposedly werewolf nature. Not sure I would have managed to emotionally handle that.

Maria nudges my arm, pushing me for a response. Just at that moment I look towards the front door of the office, noticing that Alice's car has pulled up outside, the bright red Beetle car unmistakable even from this distance. I hastily turn back towards Maria.