Chapter 32

"Hi Saul."

I wave at the handsome wolf as I approach the table, unsure whether it would be acceptable for me to give him a hug. Normally I would have said yes, but after last week, I'm not sure anymore.

"Reyna." I struggle to interpret the tone of the one word, but he stands, stepping towards me as he does, and I take it to mean that he is also expecting a hug. So I step closer, gently wrapping my arms around his slim, muscular body. He hugs me back tightly, no anger obvious in his actions. I can't help but feel a little relieved. I had expected him to be angry, or maybe a little distant. But he seems his usual calm, collected, friendly self.

"How have you been gorgeous?" He pulls out my chair for me, and I sit gingerly on the edge of the seat, still slightly on edge and a little unsure why he's not angry at me.

"I... I've been good. Busy with work you know. And you?" I try to stay minimal in my answer, not wanting to provoke his anger and stay polite. If he notices that I'm any different to usual, Saul doesn't seem to let on.

"Also very busy, I've been finding my task a little more difficult recently. But hopefully I'll be all finished soon and I'll be able to go home." I can't help but feel that the comment is directed at me, that he's trying to subtly suggest that he desperately wants to leave Ktukda because of how unwelcome he has been made to feel. I feel my cheeks flush at the possibility, but try desperately to ignore it.

"Oh I see. Busy busy." The awkward silence that follows my pathetic attempt at banter is practically audible in the very empty bar. We've picked a quiet Italian in the human part of Ktukda, allowing us a bit of privacy from prying werewolf eyes and ears. The silence seems to stretch on for what feels like an eternity. I can't help but wonder what is going on inside his head. Is he mulling over our last interaction? Maybe trying to work out whether I feel any remorse for offending him? Or maybe he's thinking back to our day together, and wondering how I managed to trick him so quickly into being my friend before instantly insulting him. Maybe he's simply wishing that he was anywhere but here. I can't help but notice that he's glancing behind me towards the door, and I assume he's thinking about just getting up and leaving, serving me right for my actions the previous night.

Thinking back on it, I can't believe how appallingly I acted. I basically pushed my authority above his, reduced his power as a man during an interaction where he'd been the one who had been insulted. Not that I thought I ever needed to keep my personality in check for a man, but I've learnt the hard way that men hate it when women step in to fight their battles for them. So basically, in his eyes, I had questioned his masculinity and then butted in where I wasn't needed. Hell, where I wasn't even involved. And then, to top it all off, after stomping on his manliness with my authority and power, I'd chosen some very choice words, stating that he was just a man like any other. 'Such a typical man' I think had been my exact words. Yet, he was anything but. Saul was kind and caring, thoughtful and respectful where others would have taken advantage. I'd suggested he was weak, then shown it, then belittled him. No wonder he had been offended and simply walked off.

"I..

"We..." I chuckle as we both attempt to initiate a conversation at the exact same time. Self-conscious, I signal to Saul that he should go first, even though I desperately want to say my piece now that I've mentally prepared myself.

"No, you go first Reyna. Please." He adds, when I don't immediately speak up.

"I just. I wanted to say sorry, Saul. About how I acted the other day. It was very inconsiderate of you and your feelings, inconsiderate of what you might have wanted in that situation." I pause, taking a deep breath before launching into my full blown apology. "I know I act like a calloused bitch sometimes, but I do it to protect myself. And I promise you mean more to me than that. You've become a friend. A true friend. And some of the things I said... well they were just to get a rise, get a response out of you. I felt a desperate need to find out what was going on, to get involved, to help. So I acted and spoke out of order, and I would really like to apologise for that."