はち | eight

| kizuna | bond

08

Yuri

THE SERENE STILLNESS OF THE SECLUDED SANCTUARY ENVELOPED US AS WE SETTLED ON A STONE BENCH, the sun casting a warm glow upon us. Satoru's casual demeanor seemed to invite an air of intimacy, and I found myself feeling oddly comfortable in his presence.

"So, my lady, how does it feel to be a noble of the esteemed Hiyoku clan?" Satoru asked, a glimmer of curiosity in his eyes.

I chuckled softly, a small smile tugging at my lips. "It's a mix of honor and responsibility, I suppose. There's a certain weight that comes with carrying on the legacy of our ancestors."

Satoru nodded thoughtfully, his gaze fixed on the tranquil pond before us. "And how old are you, if I may ask?"

"I'm eleven," I replied, my voice steady. "And you?"

Satoru grinned mischievously, leaning back against the bench. "I'm a whole year wiser than you. Twelve, to be exact."

A playful challenge glinted in his eyes, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "You make it sound like you're ancient."

He laughed, his laughter carrying a hint of mirthful delight. "Well, I do have the wisdom of a seasoned traveler."

A lighthearted banter settled between us, the weight of our respective titles and backgrounds momentarily set aside. Satoru's eyes danced with amusement, and I found myself strangely drawn to his carefree spirit.

"Speaking of which," he continued, his tone teasing, "Since I'm a whole year older, you should start calling me Satoru-kun."

I arched an eyebrow, a faint blush dusting my cheeks. "I don't think that's necessary. The age difference is minimal."

Satoru chuckled, his eyes glinting with amusement. "Oh, come on, my lady. It's just a little something to remind you who the elder is."

My lips curved into a small smile, the unexpected camaraderie between us warming my heart. "I'll pass, Satoru."

As our laughter subsided, Satoru's gaze turned more observant, his eyes keenly assessing me. "You know, my lady, you don't strike me as someone who easily lets her guard down."

I met his gaze, a hint of intrigue in my eyes. "And you're the type who thrives on keeping everyone guessing, I assume?"

Satoru chuckled, his grin infectious. "Guilty as charged."

The casual exchange suddenly shifted as I felt a slight tug on my hand. Glancing down, I realized that one of the bandages on my hand had come loose during our antics earlier. Satoru's eyes narrowed in concern, and a hint of remorse crossed his features.

"I'm sorry, Yuri," he said softly, his voice carrying a gentle undertone. "I didn't mean to make you run around like that."