XVii| Dirt Track

"And I never let them get in my head"

Perhaps it was a stupid decision.

Kimi thought it was a stupid decision.

Anneli also understood why he thought it was a stupid decision when she told him over the phone but she was also enjoying herself.

After all, the Finnish blonde has always loved going full throttle in a rally car around a random dirt track in the name of fun. She enjoyed the way it felt to have no one speaking in her ear, not having to worry about the complexities of a car that was easily damaged or scolding for being too reckless. She was free to drive as crazy as she needed with no judgement other than the soft laughter that tumbled from her month and the dazzling look in her blue eyes.

Why did Kimi find that a stupid decision?

Probably because Anneli was supposed to be on a plane heading to Finland to visit her mother before Christmas but Anneli could never turn down a little bit of fun before having family time. Family time meant little reckless fun and more sitting around talking, watching movies and just enjoying time with family so Anneli wanted to get the recklessness out of her system.

So, when Max Verstappen and Robyn Saunders asked if she wanted to join them for a little really car in France, Anneli jumped at the opportunity and rescheduled her flight for the next day instead.

"I'm going to move to rally car," Anneli screamed over the radio as she drifted around the corner.

"No, we need another girl on the grid in f1, Anneli!" Robyn screamed back as she followed the blonde in her own rally car. "Max you're been beaten by two girls, how do you feel?"

"Not that surprised!" Came the voice over the radio.

Anneli couldn't remember the last time she had laughed so hard, her mind completely filled with amusement and happiness as she let her reckless side escape in the company of two professional racing drivers who were (in theory) supposed to outrank her in skill.

They had driven into France to a dirt rally track, where Max had . It was supposed to have been Lando, Robyn and Max going for a day of racing but Mira had her first ultrasound and Lando refused to miss anything...so Lando offered Max to take Anneli (noticing the way they'd been hanging around each other.)

"Anneli, damn girl!" Robyn beamed as she stepped out her car. "Where have you been hiding that?"

"I used to go rally driving with my dad," Anneli admitted. "But life got...boring when I started to spend more time with my ex-boyfriend because he didn't like adventurous things other than hotels more expensive than my car!"

There was a grin on her face but her tone clearly echoes the troubles she had faced without realising it. Robyn didn't really know much about it but Max Verstappen felt like he did.

"Sucks for him, we should do this more!" Robyn hummed. "Mick told me you snowboard, you should take us some time."

"The offer is always there," Anneli shrugged. "Does Mick talk about me?"

"All good things," Robyn insisted. "He thinks of you as his sister. He watches all your races and so does Seb but i'm guessing you knew that"

"How do you know them?" Anneli questioned. "Seb has never told me before but I have never asked."

"Seb adopted her," Max joked.

Robyn rolled her eyes, giving him a light push.

"He used to sponsor me in W series and he's just kind of coached me," Robyn replied. "He's stepped in when my parents were being...uh... absent from my life."

"Sebastian gives me advice because he says me and my dad are the same person and I will get into trouble," Anneli replied honestly. "His advice is right and that's annoying."

"If it's good advice, listen to it," Max added with a shrug.

"But then he knows he's won," Robyn joked as her phone rang. "It's Charles, be right back."

Robyn jogged a small distance away, leaving Max and Anneli to stare at each other. Max was generally surprised at how Anneli let the ice-cold exterior melt slightly when she raced around the track and she could hear the excitement in his voice.

"I'm surprised you took up the offer to come, you said you'd be in Finland," Max began.

"You said I was always welcome and I never pass up rallying," Anneli replied with an unusually soft smile. "Seb said making friends is good...your group seems nice."

"They're great people," Max agreed. "They like you, just so you know."

"Not many people do so that's surprising."

"Not many people like you?" Max was surprised. "Why?"

"They get the wrong impression from radio messages and media," Anneli replied. "A lot don't like me because of dad and I just...I ignore them. I don't really care but I know it makes my dad angry."

"People don't like people who are winning," Max offered. "And then if you're not winning, you're a sore loser for being disappointed. It's just how it is."

"Maybe but I don't have to like it," Anneli added. 

Perhaps the two had more in common than Anneli originally thought. If Anneli was being honest, she rather enjoyed the company of Max as he understood her a lot better than other did and he likes to be straight to the point.

"Do you go back to the Netherlands for Christmas?" Anneli questioned kindly.

"I don't know yet. I'll spend it with my sister mostly," Max replied. "I'm guessing you'll be in Finland with your mom?"

"For a few days but I've always spend Christmas with my dad, it just feels right," Anneli replied. "My mum and I have a fine relationship but she was never around that much unless I asked her to be. She'd always come running if I needed her but I grew up with my dad, Seb and Michael...until dad met Minttu and she's practically a second mother to me."

Anneli noticed Robyn coming back towards her with a happy smile on her face.

"My younger siblings also beg me to be around and I'm too nice to say no to them," Anneli added. "I also visit Seb at Christmas and the Schumachers."

"Say hi to Mick for me!" Robyn added. "I have to go, I promised to make a gingerbread house with Arthur and Lorenzo. Charles says they are annoying him."

"Go save him then," Anneli insisted. "I should be heading to the airport anyway so—"

"I'll take you," said Max quickly as Robyn glanced at him. "You go home Robyn, you need to make gingerbread."

"Okay, don't have too much fun without me," Robyn hummed as she waved.

Anneli stared on. Did Max Verstappen really just jump at the opportunity to take her to the airport or was he just being nice to Robyn by doing so?

 Did Max Verstappen really just jump at the opportunity to take her to the airport or was he just being nice to Robyn by doing so?