XXViii| Destiny

"A taste of destiny you're searching for."

"Hey Max, can I talk to you?"

"Sure, Nel, what's up?" Max questioned.

Max Verstappen stared at Anneli as he waited for her to speak. She didn't appear nervous but from her lack of words, Max assumed it was that or pure excitement.

She'd also just won at Silverstone, pretty much setting her up for a win in F2 this year and she

"You told me that you'd buy me a house..."

"Yeah I said I was being honest—"

"You haven't been on social media yesterday or today, have you?" She questioned, balancing on the edge of her feet.

"I don't really like social media, Nel," Max replied with a shrug. "You know that. Especially, two days after a race."

"Yes, I know that..." Anneli smiled.

"What is up?" Max questioned impatiently.

"You owe me a house."

"What?"

The stare was back. The stare that started all of this in the first place when Max and Anneli realised from separate sides that they matched more than anyone else in the world.

Anneli said nothing else; she just laid her phone across the table for Max to read. Her face began to turn upright into a small smile as she watched his eyes widen at the words.

"I'm sorry, I know he's your friend—"

"Neli, this is amazing for you," said Max with a large grin, taking her face into his hands. "I'm sad for Nyck but I'm more happy for you."

"Even if I beat you?"

"I doubt you will but I wish you the best," Max laughed.

For a moment, Anneli let herself forget about the racing as Max placed his lips upon hers. For someone who didn't always understand the simple connotations of things, Max made her realise what people meant when they asked if you got fireworks.

Anneli had never felt this way with Elijah at any point, if anything they were barely affectionate at all because Anneli always felt like he only wanted her for the reputation that came with it...or he went to the opposite extreme and was obsessed with her. Anneli didn't even know if he loved her.

Not how Max did.

"I guess I impressed them at Silverstone," said Anneli softly as they broke away and Anneli laid her head on his shoulder. "Though I think they were just waiting for me to have the license points."

"I think you impressed everyone this season," Max admitted.

"It's caused...a reaction," Anneli began. "Some positive stuff, a lot of bad stuff."