XXXii| Beautiful

"You're just that kind of beautiful."

Max Verstappen always appeared very careless and cold to the media for several years and to the public for a while

Max Verstappen always appeared very careless and cold to the media for several years and to the public for a while. He never cared if he was honest, he wished the media and social media didn't exist at all so listening to what they said never made much sense. In more recent years, he didn't let things get to him and showed more of his humorous personality in public.

He knew Anneli had her playful side and her more vulnerable side, but he never saw either in public. He understood but Anneli didn't seem like the sort of person to pretend to be anyone she wasn't, she was the most honest person he knew. For the most part, Anneli was quiet when they were alone.

Then one day, Max had to know where the name of icecube came from. It had been bugging him since he knew Anneli had a lot of personality he didn't know of it. The conversation started as they made their way through the airport after arriving in Switzerland.

"Neli, where did you get the name icecube?" Max questioned. "Is it just because of your dad?"

"No," Anneli replied. "Felipe and Jack named it me...because of my personality. A few people have used it since because that's all they see of me."

"You're not that cold though," Max shrugged. "Why is it you're like that around track?"

"When I was younger, I used to think that the boys would bully me because I was a girl into cars," Anneli began. "They didn't, I made friends with a lot of them but by that point, I'd already prepared myself for it so the media couldn't use it against me."

"The media will use anything against us," Max admitted.

"I didn't care what they used against me as long as it wasn't the fact I was a female because that is the one thing that wasn't up to me. If they said I was cold, a bad driver or rude, that's that but saying I 'drive like a girl' to insult me...I wasn't letting them," Anneli explained.

"That makes sense," Max agreed. "You shouldn't have to hide who you are to anyone, you know that?"

"I don't hide who I am with you, Max...if that is what you are asking," said Anneli quietly. "I...I don't know what to say about it. I don't purposely try to be emotionless, I just like to be honest and it's sometimes how I come across. I think I did pick a lot up from my dad."

"There's nothing wrong with you, I'm not saying that," Max quickly.

"I know," Anneli assured.

If they were alone, Anneli would have taken Max's hand in hers as they walked but they just couldn't risk it in a busy airport. Besides, in just under half an hour, they would be around people who knew about them.

Talking off, Anneli was quite interested to see how Max would be with her family. He was staying with Anneli at the family house while he was in Switzerland, along with helping Anneli find a house she wanted. It turned out that he was really serious about buying her house, though Anneli wasn't sure how she was supposed to accept it with feeling no guilt.