xvii. | darker side of the coin

chapter 17

chapter 17

The world moves on, another day another drama, drama
But not for me, not for me, all I think about is karma
And then the world moves on, but one thing's for sure
Maybe I got mine, but you'll all get yours
But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I got a list of names, and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice, oh!
Ooh, look what you made me do

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Buzz, hiss, splash.

Jade's eyes flickered open slightly, though she preferred to keep them closed by the blinding light. After a while, she opened them fully and saw that it wasn't because of the sun, it was only dusk.

Oh, right.

Buzz, hiss, splash, thud, slam, click, plink.

Jade grunted in discomfort, finally coming to her senses and noticing that she was hanging in the air. By her fucking neck.

And that something was burning her finger.

With a sudden loud hiss, she knocked Marcel's ring off her hand, and the jewelry fell to the floor with a loud thud. Well, probably not loud, but to her it sounded like a fucking truck horn.

When she jumped down from her temporary... swing, she blinked a few times, getting used to the light, the sounds, the new sensations. She could hear everything. The gentle rustling of leaves outside the window, the distant howling of a wolf, and even the faint sound of a heartbeat from someone nearby. Her senses had heightened beyond anything she could have imagined, and the world around her felt more alive and vibrant than ever before. She tilted her head in interest as she watched the ants working in the corner of the room, at the same time listening to the gentle parting in the wood she was standing on.

Buzz, hiss, splash, thud, slam, click, plink, boing, gargle, clap, zap, pitter-patter.

Wow.

"Well, fuck me." She murmured, looking around the room, noticing things she never did. She saw a spider wrapping its prey in a cocoon from its web, then heard the quiet screeching of a mouse, two floors below. There was even the light stamping of a cockroach that was in the next room. No, two rooms beside it.

Ew.

She landed her sharp eyes at the vervain ring on the floor, tilting her head as she examined it. She bore her eyes into it, the image of Marcel giving it to her flashed before her eyes. Leaning down to get a better look, she recalled his words in her head.

Suddenly, she felt something dripping on her. Wrinkling her eyebrows, she looked up, searching for the leaking ceiling. It was fine.

Another drop. Salty drop. Putting her hand to her face, she raised her eyebrows.