xviii. | to all the future mornings

chapter 36 (part one)

You know that I'm obsessed with your body
But it's the way you smile that does it for me
It's so sweet, knowing that you love me
Though we don't need to say it to each other, sweet
Knowing that I love you, and running my fingers through your hair
It's so sweet

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

         KLAUS WAS NEVER one of those heavy sleepers, no. His early years were spent in the confines of a small, overcrowded hut where the proximity of five siblings and the ever-looming presence of his parents made quiet nights a rarity. In fact, about any at all, when Mikael was coming back after━no matter whether successful or not━hunting or viking raids and his hands were just itching to vent some frustration on his favourite punching bag.

It was a miracle in itself anyway that he stopped sleeping with a knife under his pillow. A thousand of summers ago, when he was still a teenager, he carved himself a knife in his father's absence━he had breathed his whole soul into it, worked on the blade itself for days to make it perfect, so that it would help him easily do what he wanted so badly.

A patricide.

He imagined it millions of times, maybe more. How that blade would plunge right into Mikael's neck, a simple in and out the next time he slept. Or between his ribs, several times then to make sure his sleep would be eternal. Or just straight into his heart, his little pitch-black heart that didn't beat for him even once.

He parted with it somewhere during his first century of life, reminding himself that he now had fangs. A pair of sharp teeth that were far more deadly than a silly wooden knife, accompanied by perfect hearing and sight. He didn't need it a few days after the transformation, yet he couldn't part with it, a stupid piece of wood he trusted far more than his new abilities.

His sleep was always light, the slightest creak of floor or door, a whisper that could be mistaken for a breeze could wake him up. He could not say the same about the woman lying next to him.

Klaus had been lying awake for perhaps half an hour when one of the first streams of sunshine met his eyes. Jade had been motionless since his eyes had only opened, in a position that lay on the border between normal and professional acrobatic. At first Klaus turned gently towards her, too frightened to wake her, yet when the loud slam of the door echoed throughout the house and the blonde still hadn't even twitched an eyebrow, the hybrid realised that she had no desire to wake up. 

A breath, a sigh, and Klaus surrendered to the silent spectacle before him. He lowered himself onto the pillow, captivated by the living canvas laying motionless nearby. His arm found solace beneath her neck, and a subtle smile graced his lips as she, unconsciously, welcomed the subtle change. With a small sound that threatened to split the hybrid's heart in two, her head nestled on his chest, arm draped over his stomach, and a slender leg intertwined with his own.