xvi. | the wolf and his moon

chapter 34

chapter 34

Wolf-father, at the door
You don't smile anymore
You're a drifter, shape-shifter
Let me see you run, hey-ya hey-ya

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          IT HAD BEEN a long time since Rebekah had felt human. It's also been a long time since she felt suicidal. But who else would change that if not bloody Jade Forbes and her colourful cluster of nimbwits she called friends? 

She didn't miss hangovers.

Well, in truth she has only had it once in her human life. When she was transformed into a creature of the night she was nineteen, and in the tenth century there were no such things as bars or nightclubs, no. There were bonfires and elders' unsupported gatherings by the river, and mead. Lots of mead. When she concentrated, she could still feel the sweetness of the not-so-well-filtered honey, that dryness if it was well made, every time she tasted it now, she thought back home.

But she was not home. Well, she was, just a thousand years later, when clever humans invented things like vodka, absinthe and bloody tequila.

Oh, her poor little head.

Rebekah walked with agonising speed towards the kitchen for some much-needed blood coffee, yet the voice of the most annoying brother to ever exist began to echo painfully in her overly sensitive ears. 

"Well, well, well." Kol tutted mockingly, blocking his sister's path. "There's our girl." He grinned, scanning his little sister from top to bottom. His devilish smile only grew as he eyed her disheveled appearence, especially the smeared makeup and ruffled hair. 

Rebekah tiredly took a step to the side, although the insufferable brat quickly blocked her again. Gritting her teeth, she drew in a shuddering breath full of exasperation. "Get out of my way, Kol." She growled out, her eyes murderous. 

Rebekah's glare didn't faze Kol in the slightest. "Out all night. What a scandal!" He exclaimed much louder than necessary, his words cutting through the girl's head like the sharpest of spears. 

"If you don't shut your mouth, the next thing coming out of it will be your teeth." The blonde spat venomously, trying to get past her brother again, although to no avail. 

"I get Nik now! Betrayal does run in this family." Kol said, his smile utterly sharp, causing the girl to roll her eyes and rub her forehead in annoyance. "Why wasn't I invited to this shindig of yours?" He asked as he cocked his head to the side, revealing a smirking Klaus in the background. 

Rebekah immediately caught it. "Don't start, Nik." She muttered, shoving Kol out of her way and walking past him. 

Klaus smirk grew into a fond smile as he watched his siblings. "I didn't say anything." He said defensively, returning to the sketchbook in his hold. Rebekah shook her head in exasperation in response, starting to make her way towards the kitchen.