xiv. | cara mia

chapter 32

chapter 32

Give a little time to me or burn this out
We'll play hide and seek to turn this around
All I want is the taste that your lips allow
My, my, my, my, oh give me love

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

JADE STOOD OUTSIDE the Forbes house with a fearful look on her face. The events of the last hour had not yet reached her, her mind still clouded, unable to decide which emotion to dress as the main one. Happiness? Relief? Anger? Fear? Guilt? They all were competing for dominance, yet none emerging as the clear victor.

She got out of that cell just because of Klaus. Without him, she would've either continued to sit there and massacred her father's body, or fallen into another meltdown just looking at his corpse.

Well, without him, she would've been the one who's corpse would be lying somewhere discarted, waiting to be forgotten.

Corpse.

Her father was a corpse.

Jade was sick to her stomach at the very thought. She could not describe the feeling for the life of her. It was as though he hadn't truly died at all. She still felt his presence, like an unshakeable shadow, lingering on her shoulder, looming from behind, coursing through her veins, and entwined with her very soul. He was rooted so deeply within her that even his death couldn't expel him from the world. In a way, he seemed to have become the first immortal human, living on forever inside her as an enduring weight on her heart.

Jade guessed that this was probably how Klaus felt during Homecoming.

"I don't know." He finally murmured, shaking his head. "I guess... free?" He said, his words coming out more like a question rather than definitive answer. "That's what I should feel, but..." He trailed off, glancing at the girl. "I don't."

Yeah, she could fucking relate.

Jade reluctantly approached the front door of the house, pushing it open with trembling uncertainty etched across her face. Yet, as she crossed the threshold, she was immediately engulfed in a strong, loving embrace from her sister.

"Oh, my God, you're okay." Caroline whispered tenderly into the blonde's bloodstained hair. "You're okay." She echoed herself, her words like a soothing lullaby, her eyes closing as she clung tightly to her sister.

Jade let out a deep, shuddering sigh, her arms wrapping around Caroline's form.  "I'm okay." She whispered. "Are you okay?" She asked, concern etched in her voice.

Caroline nodded rapidly. "I'm okay." She whispered back, and Jade drew in a deep, steadying breath as they slowly parted from their embrace. "I'm sorry, I should've listen. I shouldn't have gone with him." Caroline confessed, her voice heavy with guilt.