xi. | alea iacta est

chapter 29

chapter 29

Scattered 'cross my family line
God, I have my father's eyes
But my sister's when I cry
I can run, but I can't hide
From my family line
Oh, all that I did to try to undo it
All of my pain and all your excuses
I was a kid but I wasn't clueless
Someone who loves you wouldn't do this

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"WHAT THE HELL is he doing here?" Jade spat through gritted teeth, plunging her bulging eyes into her mother, who was staring at her ex-husband in bewilderment, gripping the side of the countertop she was standing by.

"Mum? What happened?" 9-year-old Jade asked with furrowed brows when she saw her mother lying on the ground in the hallway.

Liz snapped her eyes upwards in a flash, her eyes glistening. "Nothing, sweetie. Go back to your room." She said with a little smile, pointing at the door.

Jade was about to open her mouth, but then she saw her father's form walking nearby. "Your mother had a little accident, now she's being dramatic." He snorted in amusement, glancing at his wife. "Get up from the floor, Liz, for Christ's sake." He muttered, his head shaking as he sipped on his drink.

Jade was looking at her mother with furrowed eyebrows, eyes darting between her and her father, who was looking at her expectantly. "Did you not hear what your mother said to you?" He asked, taking few steps towards the little blonde girl.

"What did you do?" She asked defiantly, little pout forming on her lips as she watched her father crounch down to her eye level.

Liz began to say something, but his commanding voice was louder in Jade's ears. "Being curious can get you into trouble." He said with artificialy warm voice. "Would you like to be in trouble, Jadie?" He asked, tilting his head with a little smile.

"No." She said quietly.

Bill smiled, patting her on her blonde curls. "I thought so."

Bil chuckled, his head shaking slightly. "What a nice welcome." He said ironically, amused smile on his lips.

Even his voice alone made Jade shiver. His stupid, infuriating grin, his relaxed demeanor, so casual, as if he hadn't single-handedly shattered the lives of the women who now stood before him. The room seemed to tighten around the blonde, the atmosphere growing heavier with every passing moment, every second of tense silence.

Jade curled her fingers, driving her sharp nails into her palms, trying to control the panic that grew in her chest like icy spikes, driving into her already palpitating heart. "Mum?" She echoed herself, not sparing her father a glance.

She couldn't. If she did, she wouldn't be able to tear herself away from his gaze. His cold, heartless, tyrannical, harsh

The gaze that mirrored her own.