xvii. | sweetheart

chapter 35

chapter 35

I just wanna be your sweetheart
Fucking come here, give me your heart
Just you and me to infinity
I can't fucking breathe

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

       "THE FUCK is going on here?" Jade's incredulous voice rang out, slicing through the chaos as she stood in the threshold of the Mikaelson mansion. A perplexed expression etched across her face, her eyes tracing the movements of a dozen compelled move-out workers frantically bustling around as the air hummed with the hurried shuffle of footsteps and the occasional clatter of boxes.

"Hello?" She called out again, her voice echoing through the grand foyer as she ventured deeper. As she walked, her gaze finally zeroed on two Mikaelson brothers locked in a strange, disturbingly intense staring contest. It wasn't until Jade's inquiry that the spell seemed to break, and the younger brother turned toward her, a mischievous grin lighting up his face.

As Kol confidently strode towards the door, he couldn't resist mussing Jade's hair, prompting an immediate sour expression and a swift slap to his hand. "Goodbye, little ripper. 'Till we meet again and whatnot." He mused over his shoulder, a smirk playing on his lips as he observed Jade adjusting her tousled hair.

Jade's eyebrows shot up, her eyes locked on his retreating figure. "Woah, where you going?"

Kol spun around, still taking slow steps backwards as he talked. "Elsewhere." He shrugged.

Jade arched an eyebrow, eyes darting between him and Elijah, who looked like all his strength evaporated as he sipped on his drink. "Well, good for you, but isn't your mummy still on the run?" She asked, shaking her head a little in confusion.

"Ah, my brother and sister have it covered." He waved his hand dismissively. "I'm sure they will catch her in no time and everything will end up peachy, just as always in our thousand years of life." His words dripped with irony as his mocking eyes were plunged right into Elijah, who merely rolled his eyes in response.

Jade blinked. "M'Kay..." She drawled awkwardly, leaning towards the older of brothers. "There was a fight last night, wasn't it?" She whispered, raising an eyebrow at the now amused Original standing nearby.

Elijah huffed, glancing at his grinning brother and placing his glass on the table. "Like you even need to ask." He murmured in annoyance.

Jade nodded, her lips clamped into a straight line. Turning towards Kol once again, she cocked her head to the side. "So, you're leaving, just like that?" She asked, shrugging her shoulders in emphasis.

Kol's smile stretched impossibly wider as he began to walk towards the blonde. "I know you're going to miss me, darling, but you can stop the crying now." He cooed, placing his hands where his undead heart was, causing the Forbes to scowl. "I have a funny little feeling we're going to see each other again." He said once he was right in front of her, his head tilted provocatively to the side.