xv. | in da club

chapter 33

chapter 33

I don't look for trouble
But trouble looks for me
And it's been waiting around corners
Since I was seventeen
They say 'Here comes a hurricane
Trouble is her middle name!'
But I don't look for trouble
Yeah trouble looks for me

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          JADE LAUGHED AT something Klaus said, her head tilting back. As the ball was coming to an end, the ancient Klaus, with his equally ancient manners, offered her a ride home and she didn't protest, not really wanting for the night to be over. They spent the rest of the evening in his art studio, Klaus telling her the stories of his paintings, including how he came into possession of the Breakfast of the Rowers by Renoir, claiming to have won it in a bet with the artist. In an arm-wrestling bet.

She... won't even. Cheeky bastard.

"Now, you see, Elijah's known for his impeccable manners and his stoic demeanor. But that night, he had imbibed a bit more liquor than he should have." Klaus mused with a mischievious smirk, shifting the gear as he took a turn. 

Jade snorted in amusement, then contorted her face in thought. "I thought you, old farts, can't get wasted?"

The Original shot her a look with his eyebrows raised, to which she responded with an innocent smile. Shaking his head, he turned his eyes back to the road. "By ordinary alcohol we can't." He nodded, causing her confusion to deepen. "He drank the spelled absinthe me and Kol got from some witch." He revealed nonchalantly.

Jade gasped, slapping his shoulder. "No, you didn't!" She exclaimed with wide eyes, her lips curling into a grin.

"Oh, but we did, love." Klaus nodded, clearly proud of himself. "The pièce de résistance came when he tried to impress princess Louise-Élisabeth with a candlelit serenade. He grabbed a violin from the band, however, in his inebriated state, he struggled to hold the bow properly. The resulting screeches and discordant notes that emanated from that violin were enough to send half the guests running for the exits."

"You little shits!" Jade slapped him again, the man hiding away from her touch, chuckling softly. "Poor Elijah..." She trailed off, her head shaking as she laughed.

"Don't worry, he got his revenge." The hybrid said, a ghost of annoyance flashing on his features.

Jade hummed as she leaned back in her seat, her intrigue piqued. "Do tell." She drawled with a small smirk. 

"He courted me with her sister." 

Jade furrowed her eyebrows. "Like... arranged a marriage?" She asked hesistantly, straightening in her seat.

"Exactly, love. He knew I had no interest in such matters, the opposite of Kol, who was keen to do it first, boasting that he'd add 'a string of princesses to his account', whatever that meant." He said, his slight eyeroll making her lips quirk upwards. "Of course, dear Elijah didn't inform us beforehand, so imagine my surprise when her father came to me with congratulations." He twisted his head in her direction, giving her a glare, to which she barked a laugh. Smiling, he turned back to the road. "And then imagine Kol's."