xix. | partners in crime

chapter 36 (part two)

Everybody freeze
Nobody move
Put the money in the bag
Or we will shoot
Empty out the vault
And me and my doll will be on our way

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          WITHOUT HESISTATION, Klaus poured more paint onto his hand, his eyes gleaming with a mix of amusement and determination. "No." Jade shook her head as she pointed at him with her finger, already backing away.

"Yes." Klaus said with a nod, taking a few, determined steps towards her, his face absolutely serious.

Jade knew she couldn't stay in one place for long, her laughter fueling her escape. She bolted from the room, her bare feet padding against the floor as she headed down the hallway. With nothing on but her lover's shirt, she ran and flashed through the lengthy corridors, passing dozens of museum-worthy artworks, her childish giggles and occasional squeaks of excitement when Klaus was about to catch her trailing behind her.

She realized something when her own voice returned to her ears━she couldn't remember when she last heard it. Heard it being like that. So silly and youthful, so carefree and so... happy.

It didn't happen very often, only few had heard that tone of voice or had a chance to get to know the blonde from this side. From the side of a never-grown-up child who was thrust into adulthood a bit too soon, longing for those sleepless pajama parties with a bubble of friends who stole clothes from their moms to do a fashion show at two in the morning. For their moms to shush them quiet, but they would just get supressed giggles as an answer. From the side of troubled young adult biting her nails with her best friend waiting for a text back. From the side of an ordinary girl, not from the side of a cool femme fatale with indestructible walls built around her.

Cami and Caroline knew that ordinary girl all to well. Vicki invented her. Katerina was still creeped out when she made an appearence, but she'll get used to her. She didn't have a choice really, did she? She promised her forever, after all. Rebekah was shocked from time to time, having steel armor of her own, but she'll come around too.

Maybe Klaus will like her too.

As Jade carelessly rounded the corner, her laughter echoing through the corridor, she collided head-on with Klaus' solid chest. Before she could even react, he swiftly wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close and spinning her around in place. She struggled against his grasp as he mischievously daubed green paint across her face, a satisfied smirk playing on his lips. Despite her futile resistance, Jade found herself powerless against the strength of the Original, a vengeful Original, on top of that.

"Okay, fine! Fuck off!" Jade laughed as she tried to slap his hands away, moving her face as far away as possible.

"Are you admitting defeat, Miss Forbes?" Klaus raised an eyebrow in question, placing his hands on her hips as she leaned against the wall.